should package installation *start* the package?

curious about best practises for creating ubuntu packages -- should
simple installation of a package also automatically *start* the
package if it's a "service"-type package that comes with the standard
/etc/init.d init script? i'd always thought that whether or not a
package should be started should be an independent decision from
simple installation, but i'm willing to be corrected.

rday

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

  • Re: dist-upgrade problem (was Re: /etc/modutils/0keep: line 9: keep: command not found)
    ... Reading package fields... ... i t does not have execute permission ... installation script returned error exit status 100. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Trying to get PackMan to install GCC
    ... A repository can be tested consistent (ie all dependencies of all programs ... control, but RISC OS shared libraries (which are essentially ready, just ... Additional filecan describe what the package manager ... Readmes after installation, or the app needs to do something sensible on ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.apps)
  • Re: Finding installed package files
    ... >, and who is going to supply this documentation. ... > is a package with the common man pages for the thousand odd common commands ... tell me, as an installation option for some large packages, what was ... >>a set of commands and 'man' pages, could produce such a directory to make it ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: bits/news from the users of Debian?
    ... "Le bottin des jeux Linux" speaks about 800 Linux games and i hope that's growing. ... I start with Debian, then test Mandrake because it seem's at this time very complicated. ... I think graphics interface for installation is a good thing: you have make a good job! ... I use Debian Sid and I have experiment a lot of problem some years ago because i install too recent package on Sid which are not well tested. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Security Update for Microsoft Data Access Components (KB832483)
    ... : An error occurred while setup was trying to ... verify the version of Microsoft Data Access Components ... package returned FALSE, or there was a fatal error while ... installation. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)