Re: read extern drive in ubuntu

On 07/01/2010 09:27 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
On 1 July 2010 14:13, Todd Edwards<tedwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't believe the format of the document is important in this case.
The computer she is connecting the drive to needs to be able to read the
file system on the drive. Being that it's an 'old' Macintosh drive I
would have no idea though unfortunately. I know the new Apple computers
use some flavor of EXT Journaled, but I'm still not sure if Ubuntu can
read it or not. Maybe someone with a bit more Apple experience can chime
in?

No. Macs do not use any "flavour of EXT" - not ext2, ext3 or ext4. As
I said in my earlier reply to this thread, they use HFS+ which Ubuntu
can read - in my experience, without any extra software needed.

OK, the lady sent me the hard drives. It turns out that they are not
hard drives at all. They 3 1/2in. floppy's :-) The problem I am
having now is that Ubuntu 10.04 does not seem able to see the floppy
drive. I found a tutorial on line to make Ubuntu 8.04 see the drive and
mount it but it doesn't seem to work for 10.04. Any body knowhow to set
that up. I also have xp on my drive and the floppy drive works on it.
But it can't read the Macintosh floppy I haope ubuntu can. Doug