Re: building and installing a new kernel makes my system unbootable

05.07.2010 20:01, Robert P. J. Day:

$ sudo make modules_install
$ sudo make install
$ sudo update-initramfs -c -k 2.6.35-crash+
$ sudo update-grub

that's worked fine until now, but with this kernel tree, if i do the
above and reboot, i not only can't stop in GRUB, but the boot fails as
the kernel panics, claiming it can't mount a root file system.

i recovered by booting off the CD into rescue mode, mounting
/dev/sda1 (/boot), then literally editing grub/grub.cfg and deleting
the entries for that new kernel. nothing else would allow me to boot.

If GRUB doesn't work with the entries for your self-built kernel but
does without them, it seems that exactly these entries makes GRUB choke.
WAG: Does it get better if you rename your kernel and initrd files to
something that doesn't end with a '+' character?

--
Regards
mks

  • Re: Manual fix of Grub2 impossible
    ... Every time I update kernel, ... insmod mdraid ... If the user wants his custom entries to appear at the top of the ... Changes will not take effect on the Grub 2 menu until "update-grub" is ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: getting rid of a configured and installed kernel on 10.04?
    ... grub 2 as i'd like to be. ... and i eventually want to get rid of all traces ... Ideally you should not do that, unless you built your own kernel ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Grub problems Lucid 10.04
    ... November are the updated kernels not implemented in grub. ... With the automatic updates the kernel files are updated and I the latest ... Hi, Joep, I was out of the country for about a week - oh, you just sent this, so hopefully you did not wait long. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: building and installing a new kernel makes my system unbootable
    ... $ sudo make install ... above and reboot, i not only can't stop in GRUB, but the boot fails as ... the kernel panics, claiming it can't mount a root file system. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: building and installing a new kernel makes my system unbootable
    ... above and reboot, i not only can't stop in GRUB, but the boot fails as ... the kernel panics, claiming it can't mount a root file system. ... anyway, i just built a 2.6.35-rc4 kernel, about to install, create ...
    (Ubuntu)