Re: building and installing a new kernel makes my system unbootable

05.07.2010 20:01, Robert P. J. Day:

$ sudo make modules_install
$ sudo make install
$ sudo update-initramfs -c -k 2.6.35-crash+
$ sudo update-grub

that's worked fine until now, but with this kernel tree, if i do the
above and reboot, i not only can't stop in GRUB, but the boot fails as
the kernel panics, claiming it can't mount a root file system.

i recovered by booting off the CD into rescue mode, mounting
/dev/sda1 (/boot), then literally editing grub/grub.cfg and deleting
the entries for that new kernel. nothing else would allow me to boot.

If GRUB doesn't work with the entries for your self-built kernel but
does without them, it seems that exactly these entries makes GRUB choke.
WAG: Does it get better if you rename your kernel and initrd files to
something that doesn't end with a '+' character?

--
Regards
mks