Re: Ultimate Edition 2.8 need some help...

On 07/13/2010 12:27 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 13/07/10 13:37, NoOp wrote:

On 07/12/2010 08:16 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

On 13/07/10 12:56, NoOp wrote:

On 07/12/2010 07:39 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

On 13/07/10 12:28, NoOp wrote:

On 07/12/2010 06:49 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

I can see that Noop has already responded (I couldn't last night- it was
my biddie-byes time :-) ) but here is a "simple" solution:

boot into Recovery Mode;

select As root with console;

start mc (ie Midnight Coomander) - just type in 'mc'<Enter>;

$ apt-cache policy mc
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 3:4.7.0-1ubuntu2
Version table:
3:4.7.0-1ubuntu2 0
500 lucid/universe Packages

*Please* if you insist on posting these, please think first.

1:) it's unlikely that the OP will have mc installed, it's a universe
package& would need to be installed from universe.

In Ultimate Edition, which is what the OP is using, mc (Midnight
Commander) is installed by default.

My apologies; I was not aware of that.

Is OK.

That said, nvidia-173 does not support GeForce4 according to the package

The main thing was to get him going as quickly as possible. I have the
MX440 on another computer and I was pretty sure that I have 173 for it;

Click 'Supported Products' on both.

I will confirm or deny this later as I cannot get at my wife's computer
at the moment, but I now seem to recall that it will not boot into the
gui login screen at all with the nvidia driver installed - it boots into
the command line login; as a result I am pretty sure that her computer
is running on the default nvidia driver.

(At this point I must add that I have yet to change her over to Ubuntu
and she is therefore using another Linux distro.)

*Good morning,

Sorry about not getting back to all of you that have responded to me,
but I have been in the process of moving, and I am BEAT!!!

But at anyrate, I will try all of your suggestions, and hope one of them
will work, if none to I have nothing to loose anyway, so I will just
reinstall the Ultimate edition 2.8...

But if it does work, I will let all of you know...

Thanks again for all of your help... ;-)