Re: potential newbie with questions (please be gentle)

On 07/13/2010 04:08 PM, Jerry Bolt wrote:
Hello,

I am interested in learning more about the Linux/Ubuntu operating
system. I like what I have read and studied up to this point but
before I take the plunge I have a couple questions.

1. I have read you can install a Linux OS and still keep the existing
Windows OS, in my case I have Windows XP. Please explain how this is
done? I think I understand but want to be sure.

2. If, for some reason, a Linux OS is not to my liking can and how do
I uninstall it?

Hi JB,

Jordan's suggestions are good ones. Another way to install Windows and
Linux side by side is to use Wubi: http://wubi-installer.org/

Disk performance is going to be slightly degraded in Wubi, but it's a
good way to try out Linux without taking the plunge of partitioning your
hard drive.

You can also install Virtualbox (virtualbox.org), and install Linux in a
virtual machine, but that's more technically complex, and has the worst
performance of your available options; I'd go with Wubi, or with the
Ubuntu installer instead.

~ Pete

  • >>>> INSTALL LINUX <<<<
    ... Linux Http Install Syntax ... Install Linux On Usb In Windows ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • Re: Flash mob in Maryland on tape
    ... I still haven't got Windows 7 set up enough to ... something I thought was going to install MusicMatch ... Get a CD or USB flash with Linux Live on it! ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: eMachines OEM XP woes - time to buy $tandard?
    ... >>> under Windoze. ... Let's say one wants to install NVU. ... Now show how much easier it is to install MS Office on Linux than ... Windows OS's from Win3.1 to Windows 2003 Server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: bad experience with Suse 9.1 on Inspiron 8200
    ... > it is an M$ bug, such technicalities are irrelevant to the end user. ... :-) Windows has ... work as long as they work, trying to install a nitrous ... Linux are at least a *little* bit curious about how their computer works ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Subject: Re: Linux sucks?
    ... > the applications I run in my field do not run on Linux. ... I have cygwin on Windows ... so Windows users only hit this rarely at install. ... XP users hit this when they add hardware and the 'automatic ...
    (Fedora)