/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p and /var/run/screen disappeared after reboot/kernel upgrade

Hi all,

After rebooting yesterday into the new kernel 2.6.32-24-generic,
/var/run/screen and /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p disappeared.

I was able to recreate /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p by touching and setting permissions.

But /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p does not exist, which means my sound is not
working. Mplayer says:

[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:1293:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open
/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p failed: No such file or directory

How do I recreate this device? Also, there might be other files
missing, so perhaps this is an indication of a bigger issue?

This is a mythbuntu 10.04 system on which I have disabled pulse and
use alsa instead.

Thanks,

-- Henk

PS Some googling indicates that running ktorrent can be causing this a
problem. Ktorrent is installed, but not running.

Dr. Henk W.Ch. Postma, postma@xxxxxxxx
http://www.csun.edu/~hpostma/
Assistant Professor, Department of Physics
California State University Northridge
18111 Nordhoff Street, Northridge, CA 91330-8268
phone: 1 818 677 6152, Office 1120C Live Oak Hall
fax: 1 818 677 3234