Re: Anyone rolling a kernel nowadays?

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 17:44 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 09/08/2010 17:27, Ric Moore wrote:
Back in the day, I used to get significant gains in system speed once I
rolled my own kernel. Of course we had way fewer options to consider in
the configuration. I managed to run quite nicely with no modules at all,
just the bare essentials were checked and the kernel "rolled". But, I
haven't done this for quite a few years.

The question to the group is: Is anyone doing this? If so, do you have
enough gains to offset the effort? Just wondering. I can always use a
speed gain. Ric

Start here:

as a short followup, there's this:

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/oprofile/+question/113330

which strongly suggests that i am wasting my time looking for that
vmlinux file. i think i'll ask about this on the ubuntu kernel
mailing list, and annoy them for a while.

rday

But as this kernel thingie has been going since June then write to
Robert (but this may be difficult as he hasn't replied for 3 days to
my e-mail to him :-(.)

Nevertheless, search in the archives for this mail list for posts by
Robert re his kernel 'course' he's put together.

Heh, I just did the monkey thing and pushed the Red Button. I'm amazed
by all the stuff turned on in the kernel, not compiled as modules. So, I
turned a bunch of stuff off and it's rolling on it's own now. Think I'll
get some sleep. 5Am round here. It'll go or blow! Ric

  • Re: Kconfig variable "COBALT" is not defined anywhere
    ... Robert P. J. Day wrote: ... > There were other patches which added more COBALT support, ... > doing proper Cobalt support for modern kernels. ... Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: ath_rate_sample build error?
    ... "Robert C. Noland III" wrote: ... I just recompiled my kernel. ... > wireless NICs. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Problems with Rivatv installation
    ... driver module to be inserted into the kernel) would be part ... Red Hat installations have not been making the link.) ... Robert Riches ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: Anyone rolling a kernel nowadays?
    ... the configuration. ... just the bare essentials were checked and the kernel "rolled". ... speed gain. ... to compile the kernel anyway. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Trying to convert a LVM partition to non-LVM
    ... Styma, Robert E wrote: ... Recreate the mkinitrd in your /boot. ... and the kernel version) or you can trigger the steps that happen ... when you install a new kernel, by using a rpm -Uhv --oldpackage ...
    (Fedora)