Re: Anyone rolling a kernel nowadays?

On 11/08/2010 05:01, Ric Moore wrote:
On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 15:29 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

On 10/08/2010 15:19, Ric Moore wrote:

OK! It'll blow or go. I'll let you know! Ric

The let's get on with the...SHOW!

First off, when I googled for instructions to roll my own with Ubuntu I
wound up here... http://howtoforge.com/roll_a_kernel_debian_ubuntu_way

...it wasn't until more than half way through that I noticed the date.
<sighs> this one needs to be updated, a bunch. Then this link was
provided here, in this list:
http://linuxtweaking.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-to-compile-kernel-on-ubuntu-1004.html
...and this worked. I had to go clear through to the end of the
instructions as the initrd file was not created and I had to do it
manually. But, the method to do that was noted. I would suggest that
they just make that part of the step-by-step.

By providing the above URL you have answered a question which has been
gnawing at me for several days. Nice. Now I can go and compile my own
kernel, but before I do can you answer the following 2 questions for me,
please.

You would by now have the cloned config file, so could you look in it
and tell me what-

(1) the Timer Frequency is set to - 275HZ or 1000HZ? (you'll find this
in the Processor Type and Features);

(2) In Processor Type & Features>Preemption Mode, is RealTime Preemption
selected (it should be)?

(The last Q. would have been is the Processor Type set to your CPU make
but it wasn't and I too will therefore need to change it to Athlon.)

Now to go and read that URL you provided while I wait your response to
above questions :-) .

BC

--
Don't resent getting old - a great many are denied the privelege.