Re: Maverick Alpha3 +nvidia-96 +updates

On 08/13/2010 09:21 AM, NoOp wrote:
On 08/11/2010 11:11 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
NoOp wrote:
[ ... ]

Update the system again & reboot: nvidia-96 and compiz are still
working fine. So my suspicion is that 2:1.8.99.905-1ubuntu1 is the
primary issue. Unfortunately, pinning to the 1.8.1.902 version seems
to cause holding back 43 other packages:

Could it be related to this message?
<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2010-August/011962.html>

Nils

Got this informative response back from Robert Hooker on the dev-discuss
list:

You are going to have to use nouveau for now, the proprietary
nvidia-96 and nvidia-173 drivers do not work with xserver 1.9 and most
likely will not until right before release. 256.44 that is in
ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates does work for the GPU's it supports with
IgnoreABI added to the serverflags section in your xorg.conf but the
older releases don't. If you want accelerated 3D (for compiz) with
nouveau you can install the libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental package if
you are using the mesa 7.8 that is in maverick.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14 is the proper
place to report the problem, we can't do anything about it with the
binary drivers.

So heads up.

Gets worse:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?&t=153963
From AaronP (the nVidia guy that helps/supports Ubuntu):
<quote>
Re: X server 1.9 crash with 173.14.27
Prerelease and release candidate X servers are not officially supported.
In addition, Keith just declared the ABI in the upcoming xserver 1.9
series as frozen, so support will be coming soon in a future version of
the current release series, but support in the legacy drivers is not
considered a particularly high priority so don't expect it any time soon.
</quote>

  • Re: package management
    ... Fetching packages from version control systems (CVS, SVN, and ... No support. ... Librarian is meant to create complete ... Such shelf should be updated at once. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Anybody Tried Novell Desktop Yet?
    ... who will pay out for the support ... > upgrades for NLD as a default. ... Which is a place where users are not normally allowed to install their own ... software or upgrade packages themselves; it is all done in a controlled ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: ports and PBIs
    ... the packages, support, and the tools, and there are large companies ... to not roll their own solution, but many folks are going ... If you guys think PBIs are so great... ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: ANN: some new freeware and freeware updates for VMS
    ... Mozplugger will activate XPDF ... > provide great support for viewing those web pages with sound on them. ... > allows one to specify a URL as the MP3 filename so that it works on VMS. ... > All of the packages build without error on any supported version of VMS. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Whats wrong with debian?
    ... >> actually running is either i) Debian Stable, ... we have a stable release and periodically a set of packages (I ... > issue of abandoning security support would not have been raised. ... > I am not trying to say that we should do the service pack thing ...
    (Debian-User)