Re: 56 k modem

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 18:52 +1200, chris wrote:
On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 01:35 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 13:35 +1200, chris wrote:
Terminating on signal 15

I just googled on it and there are a bunch of hits regarding this
problem. You might sort through the results of a search to see what may
benefit you. It seems that redial will not happen on this error, though,
so that answers that.

Finding the problem will be fun. First, just hit the shift key during
boot and select the other kernel. See if the problem persists.

I finally had to throttle my modem down to 28.8, in the init string, as
I would get dropped due to poor phone line quality from living out in
the toolies. It's been a long while since I had to deal with modem init
strings, and I'm doing my best to forget all I knew! But, they can be
crucial. I'd google around for the best init string you can find for
your modem. That would definitely be a place to start troubleshooting,
if the boot to the older kernel doesn't get you running. :) Ric

Good point. Haven't had to do that for years. Up to now it has just
worked!

I ran an 8 line BBS, back in the days that was tall cotton for a free
BBS. I had all sorts of init strings saved up for all of my various
modems. A couple were cheap external win modems that I had to throttle
to 9600 baud. Not bad though, for a Linux text shell login. I remember
when PPP was new! God, I sound old. I don't even know if setserial is
still around to test with. Not looking either! :) Ric