Re: 56 k modem

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 14:35 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 21:09 +1200, chris wrote:
On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 04:53 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 18:54 +1200, chris wrote:
On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 06:47 +0100, Peter von Kaehne wrote:
On 17/08/10 02:35, chris wrote:
Aug 17 08:19:40 lucy kernel: [ 159.992544] CE: hpet increasing
min_delta_ns to 15000 nsec
Aug 17 08:23:45 lucy pppd[1647]: Terminating on signal 15
Aug 17 08:23:45 lucy pppd[1647]: Connect time 5.8 minutes.

Now what does terminating on signal 15 mean?
cheers chris

software termination signal.

The problem is in the line above. There are some debates on hpet easily
found via google. I had no time to read to it all, but it looks as if a
kernel boot time parametre can switch hpet off and you are done.

Peter

Thanks Peter I will do some googling - not the greatest via modem, and
see what I need to change

If you have your modem's manual, with all of the init strings in it, you
might try choking the modem down to 28.8, just to see what happens with
a slower connection. If it's reliable, you might start looking at line
quality issues. Cleaning the copper, etc. I used to pull my hair out for
a weekend beating on a modem gone wonky. :) Ric

good point
I'll have a poke around, but for now am going to roll back to the
previous kernel and see what gives.
It has only started with the latest kernel

Keep us posted. Your problem stirred up some dormant brain cells that
were permanently wired to all things modem. But for the life of me I
can't remember the name of the terminal programs I used with dos.
<pfffft! another brain cell just died>:) Ric

Seem to recall I used telemate, and telex wouldn't guarantee it though,

--
Cheers the kiwi

  • Re: 56 k modem
    ... Now what does terminating on signal 15 mean? ... kernel boot time parametre can switch hpet off and you are done. ... Thanks Peter I will do some googling - not the greatest via modem, ... Your problem stirred up some dormant brain cells that ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Compiling the drivers for a ADSL Modem (IceData500)
    ... My modem model is IceData500 and the vendor says it is compatible with RH ... The unicorn driver is a standard Linux ... PPPoE, PPPoA or RFC2684 protocols, the kernel may need to be patched. ... To compile the drivers, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Ive just installed SuSE 8.2 and its not recognising my Alcatel
    ... SpeedTouch USB Modem. ... Do I need to patch the kernel or pppd? ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: newbie trying to install usb modem
    ... > 3)Am I right in thinking that a newer kernel might support the speedtouch. ... I think the 2.6 kernel uses a module to support the speedtouch. ... get my modem to work. ... beginning of the install process and doesn't need any proprietary ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: FTP over PPP stalls out
    ... as well as set up the linux box to be an IPTABLES NAT so ... The modem line was a backup to the Cable Modem interface, ... > speed over FTP. ... "required" kernel version as '2.4.20-8', ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)