Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 18:04:46 +0000 (UTC)
From: Frans Ketelaars <ketelaars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: My New Modem Won't Install
To: ubuntu-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 18:31:08 -0500, Nora Wilcox wrote:

<quote>

Thanks for the helpful link. It is good to know it is possible to have
this modem work. My Dell came with Ubuntu 8.04. But I have done updates
every week, so I should have the most current version of Ubuntu.

When I plug in the USB modem, I get an icon on the desktop. No wizard to
install the modem. When I click on the Verizon desktop icon, I get an
explorer type screen. When I click on any of the files nothing happens.

When I click on the Network button and choose the Mobile Broadband tab,
there is nothing there.

I am an absolute computer novice. All I have ever done on my computer is
email, research, forums, and shop. So sadly I did not understand anything
in the info from the link to the other forum.

I wondered about ejecting the modem? Is that something that should be
done? It sounds counterproductive.

Thank you so much for trying to help me. I'm sorry to be such a beginner.

Nora

</quote>

I you reply to a digest please snip the parts you are not responding to.
Don't worry about being a newbie :)

I found this link:
http://www.amazon.com/Novatel-Ovation-Broadband2Go-Virgin-Mobile/product-reviews/B002VPUNKE?pageNumber=2
which says "Ubuntu 10.04 is plug&play", and has easy instructions.

See here on how to get Ubuntu 10.04 on your laptop:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1497176 esp. post #5 .

Regularly updating Ubuntu 8.04 just gives you an updated
Ubuntu 8.04 version, and simply upgrading the Dell installed Ubuntu 8.04
software to Ubuntu 10.04 isn't possible according to the link above.

Maybe you can get support from a local Ubuntu or Linux support group
near you.

Good luck!

-Frans

  • Re: My New Modem Wont Install
    ... My Dell came with Ubuntu 8.04. ... When I plug in the USB modem, I get an icon on the desktop. ... My New Modem Won't Install ... Where are my windows going? ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: modem
    ... to b e online and "apt-get" some stuff to detect the modem so I can get ... command-line connection using 'pon' and 'poff'. ... I did discover that the Ubuntu disk has additional packages that can be installed after OS installation, but what I need for the modem isn't there. ... I was excited to see the GIMP is on the disk, but it fails to install. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: How to create symlink
    ... I m using ubuntu 6.06. ... The Modem i have following problems. ... This page describes how to install the driver for the Intel 536EP internal ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: What files are required for Kvirc
    ... Pass, all I know is, the modem is an Intel 536EP. ... during the sync phase of a connection (ie. a connection to the RADIUS ... (from Ubuntu), even tho I can hear it dialling and connecting. ... shane@shane-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install kvirc ...
    (comp.windows.x.kde)
  • Re: Ive thought better of Linux
    ... Ubuntu was one of the easiest installations I had ever done on my ... I do not know how to install Windows ... integrated Windows only modem. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)