Re: wireless connectivity

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 08:08:44AM +0300, Avraham Hanadari wrote:
Hi!

Just installed 10.4 in a desktop machine; just Ubuntu, no dual boot.
Seems to be fine, BUT I have no wireless connection. My previous
experience with Ubuntu has always been with dual boots and perhaps the
installation took a peek at the Windows connection, because it seems to
me the wireless connection was right there at the beginning. This time
there is not even the classic selection of various wireless servers in
the neighborhood. I am presented with a frankly bewildering aray of
lettered choices and am quite completely lost.

I have to agree about the bewildering choices. When wireless doesn't
work (for whatever reason) it's *incredibly* difficult to diagnose
what's wrong.

Is there a HowTo anywhere that really walks through the whole WiFi
setup because I have looked and found little step by step diagnosis.
One can find fixes for specific problems but nothing that says 'step 1
- do this', 'if x happens then step 2 - do that' etc.

As it is I haven't a clue what to do in several different cases:-

1 - Nothing useful seems to happen, even though I know there's a
wireless network in the vicinity.

2 - It tells me there's a wireless network, I have a 'key' but
haven't a clue what sort of key it is (this is a very common
situation and the network 'owner' very rarely has a clue what to
do)

3 - What the 'network' applet in the panel is *supposed* to do, is
this documented anywhere?

--
Chris Green