Re: NVIDIA driver causes kernel freeze

On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 13:14 +0200, Thomas Olsen wrote:

I decided to give the driver from http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-
ia32-173.14.27-driver.html a go because the Ubuntu provided drivers didn't
work for me.
I logged out of X and ran:

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.27-pkg1.run

It had some hickups with the kernel sources about missing autoconf.h and
auto.conf so I reinstalled linux-headers-2.6.32-24-generic and ran "make
oldconfig && make prepare".

All you needed to do was to install the missing headers, then re-run the
nVidia run file. That is it. Easier would be to use the Hardware Drivers
application. Let it do all the work, install the driver and set it up
for auto-update every time a new kernel is updated ...the Ubuntu way.
God knows Ubuntu of any flavor is becoming less and less tolerant of the
user installing his own.

I hail from WAY BACK when. I do not do that anymore, as it avoidably
leads to tears and later, rants by your's truly. I am slowly evolving,
repentant of my past command-line edit misdeeds and have been
assimilated. It just works better. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256