Re: NVIDIA driver causes kernel freeze

On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 13:14 +0200, Thomas Olsen wrote:

I decided to give the driver from http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-
ia32-173.14.27-driver.html a go because the Ubuntu provided drivers didn't
work for me.
I logged out of X and ran:

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.27-pkg1.run

It had some hickups with the kernel sources about missing autoconf.h and
auto.conf so I reinstalled linux-headers-2.6.32-24-generic and ran "make
oldconfig && make prepare".

All you needed to do was to install the missing headers, then re-run the
nVidia run file. That is it. Easier would be to use the Hardware Drivers
application. Let it do all the work, install the driver and set it up
for auto-update every time a new kernel is updated ...the Ubuntu way.
God knows Ubuntu of any flavor is becoming less and less tolerant of the
user installing his own.

I hail from WAY BACK when. I do not do that anymore, as it avoidably
leads to tears and later, rants by your's truly. I am slowly evolving,
repentant of my past command-line edit misdeeds and have been
assimilated. It just works better. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256

  • Re: Potential School Wide Linux Implementation (Tommy)
    ... Jaunty beta - lost my nvidia drivers ... Re: /home partition ... 3.0GiB but ever since switching to Ubuntu, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Does this system work optimal on Ubuntu?
    ... NVidia is not a good choice for an Ubuntu system. ... and developing open drivers, but if you get their latest cards, expect ... Intel is the best bet (if you avoid the rare closed chipset like the ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: HP (Deskjet 6840) Network Printer problems
    ... > Considering Ubuntu comes with all the drivers one would need for most any ... then I noticed that HPLIP was already running under Breezy by default! ... the Gnome printer manager (via the ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?
    ... Ubuntu doesn't ... The only reason hardware works with ... Windows is because the vendor produces drivers for it. ... I've asked to Fujitsu-Siemens for drivers to my card reader of the ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: ubuntu 8.10 is fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ... yes but ubuntu found the driver for my desktop 9400GT card and asked me if I wanted the nvidia... ... I didn't need to install any driver manually.. ... I am mostly a windows user... ... you need to install drivers for a graphics card. ...