Re: [Same old linux AV discussion thread] was Re: A little confused

NoOp wrote:
On 08/29/2010 10:56 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
James Takac wrote:
On Monday 30 August 2010 05:30:03 Ioannis Vranos wrote:
I am not going to install an antivirus in my Linux host, in case
I forward some document with virus to some Windows user.

It is their responsibility to have an antivirus on their
machines, or to change their OS.

Whilst it may be their responsibility to check their end it
doesn't negate the sender's responsibility to check what they
send is safe. It'd be like giving a poisoned glass of water to a
thirsty person and saying they should have checked it. Likewise
so should you as the one giving it.

But you don't make a chemical analysis of the water you get from
someone else before you give it to a thirsty person, do you? Well,
maybe you check that it doesn't smell like gasoline or that it
tastes like water. But that would be the analogy for opening the
document before giving it away. Of course I don't give away things
where I know it is (only) a virus and not the expected contents,
but I don't accept the obligation to carry the burden and check
everything for hidden Windows viruses that don't affect my
machine. After all one of the reasons for using Linux is that I
don't want to slow down my machine with unnecessary antivirus
software.

Using an on-demand linux AV doesn't slow down anything until you
perform the scan. Be reasonable; there *are* non-commercial
environments (as mentioned in my previous posts in this thread) that
make installing & using an linux AV *does* make sense.

Correct, there are reasons for running AV on Linux machines. But
scanning outgoing mail is not one of them IMHO.

Nils