Re: shriekingly tinny sound in 10.10 at higher volumes

On 10/09/2010 16:02, K V wrote:
Heyas all,
Just a quick question. Running an Asus ATI Mobo with an ATI HD48x0
sound card (output from lspci) with Ubuntu 10.10 desktop version.

It seems to me that all sound is pretty quiet unless it is cranked way
up (as compared to my ancient Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, which I hated
to give up), but any sound level above 'unamplified' in sound
preferences gains a tinny note at first which grows exponentially to a
pure shriek, as if a thousand fingernails were being scraped across
miniature blackboards through a really high pitched feedback loop, or
a bunch of psychotic bats were calling the days news directly into
your ear canal. It's unpleasant, dig? :-D
Anyway, any ideas gentles? This is painful.
Oh, btw, it is the same from the main output in the back panel or over
headphones from the front/headphone jack...

Sounds like feedback or ground loop possibly....

You don't state which audio you are using: alsa or pulseaudio.

If using alsa (with pulse installed) at the terminal type "alsamixer"
and play around with the settings to see which setting is interfering
with another setting.

If using pulse, run pavucontrol and do same to see if the correct sound
card setting was chosen.

BC

  • Ubuntu and Multimedia (audio, in particular)
    ... I have a laptop -- a Sony -- with a built-in sound system. ... Ubuntu recognises both sound systems and loads drivers for them. ... Despite my setting the default sound card in System->Preferences->Sound to my Sound Blaster, the only thing that reliably plays sounds out to the Sound Blaster are the system event notifications. ... Totem, in particular, will play at random to my Sound Blaster or to my internal sound card There doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to which one it chooses. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: tired...waiting for GSOUND
    ... ATMega32, SD card, PWM sound amplified by a LM386 and a few ... sure not HiFi but way better than any original early sound card. ... directly to the driver transistors or the flip-flops. ... There's usually a solenoid for resetting ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: Well, Windows is back on the disk.
    ... Mysterious hardware and software failures ... > sound goes to where I want it. ... > The Ubuntu experience -- and keep in mind that I think Ubuntu is the ... > work on one sound card and if that sound card (ironically the one with ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Sound card for recording
    ... better sound card than the onboard sound. ... universal design flaw on sound cards where the input circuitry clips ... The input clipping level corresponds to about -4db FSD. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • 2.6.3-rc?: ALSA - xmcd works, xmms & aplay dont.
    ... sound card besides the input from the CDROM. ... And I can control the sound volume without any problems using the ALSA ... # ACPI Support ...
    (Linux-Kernel)