Re: Upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 LTS (BORKED)

On 13/09/2010 06:42, clintin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I started this process about 4 hours ago and it is currently "hung" on
"Configuring dbus", the last message is the "system user 'messagebus'
already exists. Exiting." With about 19 minutes remaining. Checking
top, init and evolution-data seems to be "railing" the processor with
the upgrade process being in this state now for over 20 minutes.

Any ideas on how to complete the process without ending up with a
crashed system? Control-C is responsive in the upgrade window but it
warns about ending up with a crashed system as well.

In the past I have done a Ubuntu istribution upgrade in the past,
notably 6.06 LTS to 8.04 LTS and it worked flawlessly. 8.04 LTS to
10.04 is conspicuously totally borked.

Here is what the documentation for Ubuntu states regarding updrades -
did you read it?

QUOTE

An upgrade is the process of going from an earlier version of Ubuntu to
a newer version of Ubuntu with an installed system. An example of this
would be going from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. To avoid damaging
your running system, upgrading should only be done from one release to
the next release (e.g. Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu 9.10) or from one LTS
release to the next (e.g. Ubuntu 6.06LTS to Ubuntu 8.04LTS). If you wish
to 'skip' a version, you can backup your data and do a fresh
installation, or progressively upgrade to each successive version. For
example, to upgrade from Ubuntu 8.10 to Ubuntu 9.10, first upgrade to
9.04, then upgrade 9.04 to 9.10.

UNQUOTE

BC

  • ... Upgrading to Ubuntu 10.4 LTS RC ... I have been trying to upgrade to Ubuntu 10.4 LTS with mixed success. ... I guess there is something missing in the configuration. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [11.04]-Turn Off Unity & Use Classic Gnome?
    ... "Ubuntu Gnome 3 Remix" is the officially-sanctioned style, ... Ubuntu and insserv on Debian, it's become more of a PitA. ... There's just the advice to use the Ubuntu upgrade applications and not ... on actual hardware - a majority in VMs and a majority X-less installs ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Jaunty still in Beta?
    ... unstable as beta and alpha RCs, so they can't be used as examples in the ... Debian lists and forums, I believe I can say lots and lots, because that's ... they loose network after a new kernel and/or udev upgrade I think. ... Coming back to Ubuntu though, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: google-chrome causes failure in package updates
    ... "An upgrade 12.04 is available" then it lists some of the packages installed ... "Install Updates"? ... deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric main restricted ... ## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: New instalation, old distribution, antique machine
    ... We've tried everything we know to do to upgrade Ubuntu (Ubuntu 6.06 LTS ... Full permissions for owner, none for group, none for other. ...
    (Ubuntu)