Re: apt-file

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 18:42:47 +0530
Jitender Kiraria <jitu960@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

what result should the following command display
" apt-file search X11/Xlib.h "

An empty line means apt-file found no hits; otherwise, each line will
have the package name followed by the file name that matched.

Now, when I run the command as you show, this is what I see:

cerdea@xango2:/build/buildd/weechat$ apt-file search X11/Xlib.h
ivtools-dev: /usr/include/IV-X11/Xlib.h
libghc6-x11-dev: /usr/lib/haskell-packages/ghc6/lib/X11-
libhugs-x11-bundled: /usr/lib/hugs/packages/X11/Graphics/X11/Xlib.hs
libroot5.18: /usr/lib/root/5.18/cint/include/X11/Xlib.h
libx11-dev: /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h

So I guess you do not have the necessary repositories in your
/etc/apt/sources.list. 'apt-file' uses the repositories specified
there to search.

Anyway What is use of the command " apt-file search "
and what is it supposed to display as output in case command is
successful and in case command fails???????????

apt-file search <pattern>

<pattern> is a regular expression.

Please also note that 'man apt-file' will explain this command in more

C de-Avillez
IRC: hggdh

This email (and any attachments) is digitally signed using GNUpg
( The public key is available at
The key Id is 0xD3133E56.

ubuntu-users mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

Relevant Pages

  • Re: package
    ... I install apt-file as suggestion. ... but I run this command, ... apt-file search ...
  • Re: apt
    ... your apt-file data base isn't updated. ... and what is it supposed to display as output in case command is ... | containing the pattern pattern is returned. ... If it is successful it displays the package names which include the ...
  • Re: HTK (a tool for speech recognition ) installation on Ubuntu 10.0.4
    ... apt-file search X11/Xlib.h ... tells me you need the package "libx11-dev". ... suggest that you install the package apt-file and use the command ...
  • Re: Where is the repo for
    ... Included in universe (in dapper at least). ... Thanks for the response. ... I was not aware of the apt-file ... command. ...
  • Re: limit attachments
    ... >How can I use the limit command to only display the messages that ... >contain attachments? ... I tried to find a pattern ...