Re: umask, ACL inheritance and setgid +s not working with copy from flash drive in nautilus

I don't think you're heading in a bad direction.. I just don't know how
to do it....

If you simply use a cp command in a shell, the ACL's inherit properly
(unless, of course, you add an option to preserve permissions). Alas, I
have no idea to to control whether or not the various GUI file managers
preserve file permissions on copy, and this is where your problems come
from. (It doesn't help that default ACL seem to be something not at all
understood by many linux users here.)

Rashkae,
Get this, I just did this from gnome-terminal:

andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ touch milkmandan
andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ ls -al milkmandan
-rw-rw-r-- 1 andy.graybeal andy.graybeal 0 2010-09-14 17:27 milkmandan
andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ chmod g-w milkmandan
andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ ls -al milkmandan
-rw-r--r-- 1 andy.graybeal andy.graybeal 0 2010-09-14 17:27 milkmandan
andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ cp milkmandan /srv/Desktop/Tech/
andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ ls -al /srv/Desktop/Tech/milkmandan
-rw-r--r--+ 1 andy.graybeal tech 0 2010-09-14 17:28
/srv/Desktop/Tech/milkmandan
andy.graybeal@buddleia:~$ getfacl /srv/Desktop/Tech/milkmandan
# file: srv/Desktop/Tech/milkmandan
# owner: andy.graybeal
# group: tech
user::rw-
group::rwx #effective:r--
mask::r--
other::r--

So it does the same thing from gnome-terminal. I'll be the first to
admit, I have no clue what I'm doing.

Thank you for your input.
-Andy