Re: Hardware testing.

On 18 September 2010 03:48, Patton Echols <p.echols@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09/17/2010 07:17 PM, Doug wrote:
On 09/17/2010 09:21 PM, P Echo wrote:

I've been asked to triage a laptop running windows xp   I know that my
problem is off topic, but the question is "on" I think.

/snip/

If it matters, the symptoms are multiple, repeated crashes of things
like MS Word, especially when trying to cut and paste from MS Excel.
(WinDUHs not even playing nice with itself)  I assume the normal bloat
and crap-ware on the system, but want to exclude hardware problems
first.  It is a Dell Laptop, @ 3 years old.  No model or other yet.

Thanks for any thoughts.

-- Patton

Have you done all the usual things, like defrag, etc.?  Have you run
some good anti-virus program(s)?  Windows even has some of its own
security stuff now, but I'm not sure it's available for XP.  Also, I'd get
and run a registry checking/fixing prog, like Registry Mechanic. And
tell the owner of the machine to never run any kind of Outlook or
Internet Explorer.  They're magnets for trouble from the outside.
Only then run your tests.
(You probably knew all this, anyway.)
--doug

Sure, All the usual stuff.  I planned on doing the hardware checks first
because I'm hearing things like "this laptop is crap, it's old and
dying"  Until I do the HW checks, I'll never convince anyone that it's
just the OS needing a cleaning.

I don't know what's been done yet, I'm volunteering for a small
non-profit and this machine is in production over night, then I have one
day (tomorrow) to get it up to snuff to go out of town on business next
week!

Thanks for the thoughts (I had forgotten about Reg.Mechanic.)

FWIW, personally, from extensive experience, I consider all registry
tools other than RegEdit.exe and RegEdt32.exe to be a complete waste
of time. Don't bother, they're all just scams. Any improvement is
observed placebo effect, nothing more.

1. Clear out all the temp files, both from the user directory and from Windows.

2. Give it a CHKDSK. You can't do that from Ubuntu but a Win7
emergency startup CD (free download) works fine.

3. A virus scan with a couple of the freebies you don't need to
install is a good plan.

4. Run Windows Update & ensure every available serious update is
installed. Do the same with Office.

5. Delete all the uninstallers to reclaim a gig or so of space.

Unfortunately, you can only do step 1 from Linux, but it has uses all
the same - no files will be open, everything can be deleted, and you
can also get any pesky temp directories in the root directories of any
drives - the ones with long "names" in hexadecimal whose contents you
can't see from within Windows. Nuke those with extreme prejudice, too.

Email: lproven@xxxxxxxxx • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@xxxxxxxxx
AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lproven@xxxxxxxxxxx • ICQ: 73187508

  • Re: I cant install critical updates
    ... I resolved error message problem from Vista Security Center by uninstalling and reinstalling Antivir. ... How it comes I can't either manage to install manually failing updates? ... Be sure to obtain the correct version for Windows x86. ... Windows Update Agent File Versions: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows XP home login/off
    ... How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows XP ... Click on How To Run a Repair Install ... registry has worked the 5 or 6 times I have seen this problem. ... The script will stop and ask you to hit enter to continue to load SCSI ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.wmi)
  • Re: I am having connectivity problems
    ... Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3 ... firewall and turned ON Windows firewall. ... When I tried to install SP2 I was unable to get it thru Windows Update. ...
  • Re: update fails with 0x800703E3 error
    ... Delete *ALL of the contents* of SoftwareDistribution, not the folder itself ... Close Windows Explorer ... Double click WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe to install the required files. ... My earlier reference to the registry was that other solutions to similar ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Hacked or.....Would appreciate expert help
    ... so you can install it after you've reformatted. ... > Connection Firewall (Windows Firewall) and turn it on. ... > to Windows Update, and get whatever security patches they have for you. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)