Re: dual boot with 2 drives

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 14:53 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
On 20 September 2010 20:25, Norman Silverstone <norman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
< snip >

Thanks again, I think that method [2] is the way to go. I will keep you
informed of progress sometime next week.

After overcoming one or two challenges put my way I now have what I
wanted, a dual boot system on two HDDs one with Ubuntu and the other
with XP Pro. I have learned that to install XP Pro onto a HDD that had
had Ubuntu installed it may be necessary to remove the MBR first. Thanks
to all who helped.

Glad to hear it and happy for whatever help my messages have given you!

In the interests of accuracy, you can't remove an MBR from a PC disk.
All disks have an MBR and if they don't you can't use one.

The thing is, Windows puts nothing much in the MBR, whereas Linux uses
it and needs to put stuff in it in order to bypass the normal Windows
boot process and get in there so you have a chance to use it.

When you install GRUB (v1 or v2 or even its old LILO predecessor),
part of it goes in the MBR. That's normal & what you'd want,
generally.

But it can throw Windows. The easiest way of removing the Linux magic
from an MBR and putting a vanilla Microsoft one back in place is to
boot off a DOS floppy and type

FDISK /MBR

... if of course your machine /has/ a floppy. If not, you can do this
from a Windows XP recovery console, but I can't remember the command
offhand. It's something like

FIXBOOT

followed by

FIXLDR

from memeory it is
FIXBOOT

followed by

FIXMBR

--
Just my 2c's worth
Cheers the kiwi

  • Re: Re: Newbie
    ... I have always been a windows user, I tried Linux about two years ... I suffered years of grief and misery with all versions of windows, ... did you really give Ubuntu a fair trial? ... get yourself the Ubuntu CD and try a fresh install. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: OT - help request for the Dark Side
    ... Or some apps may simply fail to function - IRC, news readers, ... The main reason people used to install Little Snitch (don't tell me any ... Then they're only familiar with WP and mail as is used on a Windows ... several PS's and the Ubuntu box would have been nice. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: dual booting Ubuntu 13.04 and Windows 7
    ... Windows 7 Home Premium and had it installed at the shop. ... to dual boot Windows and Linux as I have successfully for the past ... I was able to easily install Ubuntu 13.04. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Cant install Ubuntu successfully along side WindowsXP
    ... Dual booting with Ubuntu 32 bit. ... Finally install was completed and I rebooted. ... Windows partition and on the Ubuntu partition. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: How to delete all partitions for a complete reinstall
    ... keep all the other partitions since the MBR is kept. ... Sorry to ask this question in ubuntu list. ... During the XP install process you can delete all of your partitions ... partition in the new GRUB menu (shows on boot allowing you to choose ...
    (Ubuntu)