Re: Run-Level 1

On Sun, 2010-09-26 at 01:53 +0200, Florian Diesch wrote:
Ric Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 14:41 -0400, Tom H wrote:
On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 17:35 +0530, Jitender Kiraria wrote:

Is there any way that I can set the Ubuntu 10.04 to Boot in Run Level
1( single User mode) when system boots????????( I mean system boots
automatically in Run level 1).........

I can do it in Fedora by editing /etc/inittab
But in Ubuntu I couldn't find this file............

I have yet to understand why Ubuntu doesn't utilize it.

Because Ubuntu has transferred the functionality of "/etc/initab" to
"/etc/init/*", except for "initdefault" (AFAIK) most probably because
Ubuntu and Debian only use a default of runlevel 2.

Right, I was just openly wondering why? Isn't the use of /etc/inittab
supposed to be the universal standard?

No. It's just a config file used by SysV init. As Ubuntu doesn't use
SysV init but Upstart this file is not present by default (but used by
Upstart if it is there).

Just wondering if there was some sort of benefit to the fork.

Upstart offers much features SysV init doesn't. For end users the most
visible one is a much faster boot time.

Thanks. Olde Skool here, I just missed it being there. Along with floppy
drives, it's another reminder that what we used to know ain't squat no
mo'. <sighs> <drinks more prune juice> <falls face-first into my
oatmeal> Ric

Linux user# 44256

  • Re: Ubuntu/Kubuntu on Mac G5.
    ... Yaboot simply can't load OS X. it tries, and the screen flickers, but nothing happens. ... I'm quite puzzled by why OSX won't boot. ... it says that the line beginning "macosx=" should give the open firmware or unix device path to the OSX boot partition. ... You can use the mouse to select your OSX or your Ubuntu drive, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Restore /boot? (wiped out by ubuntu install)
    ... ubuntu *insisted* on ... The other choice was to use the /boot partition on /dev/sda which was also in use by fc 6. ... create a new partition where you can boot ubuntu from. ... Since both the fc 6 on sda and f8 installed on sdb are lvm based, creating a new partition would require wiping the drive, I think, Instead I had created some new LogVol's on the copious free space of 500G sdb for ubuntu where it installed OK previously. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit installed along onto Pre-Installed Windows 8 System Woes (EFI related)
    ... Ubuntu 12.10 _64 bit_ on USB flahs will boot in UEFI mode on a sane ... it will install and run with Secure Boot ON - ... Manually edited the 40_custom file under the grub.d folder to add an entry for Windows 8 with the UUID of the Window's drives boot partition. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: on returning to ubuntu 12.04 from windows the display mangnification goes larger
    ... I should have mentioned that I had windows 7 removed from the ubuntu ... the install CD in, with your bios set to boot the cdrom first, HD ... ..the Sin of Ignorance, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Multiple XP Start-Up Problems - Looking for Help with Prioriti
    ... have a little more time to work with the notebook computer. ... I can still use it in DOS mode if I boot from a floppy, ... try Ubuntu. ... prepare a bootable USB Flash stick. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)