Re: Run-Level 1

On Sun, 2010-09-26 at 01:53 +0200, Florian Diesch wrote:
Ric Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 14:41 -0400, Tom H wrote:
On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 17:35 +0530, Jitender Kiraria wrote:

Is there any way that I can set the Ubuntu 10.04 to Boot in Run Level
1( single User mode) when system boots????????( I mean system boots
automatically in Run level 1).........

I can do it in Fedora by editing /etc/inittab
But in Ubuntu I couldn't find this file............

I have yet to understand why Ubuntu doesn't utilize it.

Because Ubuntu has transferred the functionality of "/etc/initab" to
"/etc/init/*", except for "initdefault" (AFAIK) most probably because
Ubuntu and Debian only use a default of runlevel 2.

Right, I was just openly wondering why? Isn't the use of /etc/inittab
supposed to be the universal standard?

No. It's just a config file used by SysV init. As Ubuntu doesn't use
SysV init but Upstart this file is not present by default (but used by
Upstart if it is there).

Just wondering if there was some sort of benefit to the fork.

Upstart offers much features SysV init doesn't. For end users the most
visible one is a much faster boot time.

Thanks. Olde Skool here, I just missed it being there. Along with floppy
drives, it's another reminder that what we used to know ain't squat no
mo'. <sighs> <drinks more prune juice> <falls face-first into my
oatmeal> Ric

Linux user# 44256