Re: difference between "do-release-upgrade" and "apt-get dist-upgrade"

On 10/04/2010 08:18 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 19:00:56 -0700
NoOp <glgxg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Note if you have an older nVidia 96/legacy card (as I do):
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/626974
[ABI change in xorg 1.9 breaks legacy nvidia-96 and nvidia-173 drivers
in Maverick]
173 got fixed, but still waiting on 96...

I had a GeForce 7600 GS which was the card Ubuntu's proprietary
software fetcher set up for me. I seem to recall that it was the 173
but am not sure. When I recently got a GeForce 8400 GS my driver
didn't change. I never thought to change it as it was working fine.

Then the RC upgrade played some tricks. ;-]

I do notice that the new Maverick, "Additional Drivers," reports only,
"NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version current)," now. Could that
possibly be the new and improved 96?

Do you use the OS-included fetcher of proprietary software or install
the drivers manually?

Cybe R. Wizard

You should:

1. Start a new thread & preface with [Maverick] :-)
2. Use the 256 driver for the GF 8400 GS:
Ref:
[http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-256.53-driver.html]
(click on supported products)
The 256 driver in Maverick has supposedly been fixed for awhile:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/616023>
[nVidia card : X won't start since 1.9 update, no screens found]

Given that your upgrade from lucid failed, you might want to subscribe
to that bug report and add your comments/experience.

3. Change your mail client to not include the email address of the
person that you are replying to in your attribution. Doing so just makes
it easer for spambots & irritates folks like me :-)