Re: [Maverick] Install - was: Re: difference between "do-release-upgrade" and "apt-get dist-upgrade"

On 06/10/2010 14:07, NoOp wrote:

[pruned]

Howver (aside from the usual backup this/that warnings):
1. Ensure that you have ubuntu-desktop installed. Several of us may have
UD uninstalled for various reasons - reinstall it before upgrading:
$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
For some reason the rev upgrades do not do well without it installed.
2. Of course ensure that you've:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
and it certainly can't hurt to:
$ sudo apt-get install -f
$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
3. *Be sure* to *read* the release notes et al:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MaverickUpgrades
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/TechnicalOverview

There is information in the above links which is confusing.

In the first it states,

You can easily upgrade over the network with the following procedure.

1. Press Alt-F2 and type update-manager --devel-release

while in the second it states,

To upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on a desktop system, press Alt+F2 and
type in "update-manager -d" (without the quotes)

Both probably have the same required result, but consistency would be
less confusing to people, wouldn't it?

BC

--
"So where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?"
Christina Aquilera

  • Re: uninstall gnome
    ... You could do $ sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop to cleanly ... install KDE and $ sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop to cleanly ... Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Ubuntu 9.10 Hangs Frequently
    ... $ sudo apt-get upgrade ... $ sudo apt-get install -f ... repeat them. ... found in the past that you may upgrade multiple packages, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: uninstall gnome
    ... You could do $ sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop to cleanly ... install KDE and $ sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop to cleanly ... Anurag ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04
    ... I'm new to the Ubuntu bug process, so I don't know what to expect. ... of trying to upgrade with only apt. ... sudo apt-get install update-manager-core ... sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop lubuntu-desktop ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Ubuntu 9.10 Hangs Frequently
    ... $ sudo apt-get upgrade ... the upgrade was incomplete. ... The following packages have been kept back: ... [Note I recommend that you reboot following that to complete the kernel ...
    (Ubuntu)