Re: Possibly OT: networking under VirtualBox

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 8:41 AM, Mark <mhullrich@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday, October 28, 2010 02:38 AM, Mark wrote:

1) It can't see my on-board network, so it can't reach the internet or
even the local (router) network.

Fixed (works better with bridged networking...).

2) It keeps finding some base hardware component that it doesn't
identify and can't seem to install.

Seems like installing the Guest Additions fixed this.

I wound up having to mount the extra "drives" as shared folders, which
works nicely.  I never could get my samba and VB to see eye to eye on
what's where - maybe a holdover from the VMware stuff, which is
(somehow) still partially visible, but not working.

BUT:

Now whenever I open a window, the mouse goes berserk, as if I were
rapidly clicking the left button all the time.  It maximizes a window
if I try to move it, scrolls all the way to the bottom of any
scrolling display like it's stuck, or there's a right-side sticky area
like on a mousepad.  I can control this to some extent by using only
the keyboard, but wow.  I tried using the Mouse control panel applet,
but that has no effect and there's no visible settingin VB that
explains this.

Guess I'll have to read up a little more on VB, especially the command
line interface part.

Other than that, it works rather nicely.

I /was/ going to say, remove all the hardware devices you can in
Device Manager, then get it to re-detect them all. Once you've done
this & the VM has rebooted a couple of times, install the guest
additions. Don't forget to remove the VMware ones.

But it sounds like you're past that point.

However, the best route would be to wipe & reinstall.

The hardware emulated inside a VM is totally different from one
hypervisor to another. Your copy of XP is /not/ running on the H/W of
the host machine; it is on completely different virtual H/W.
Effectively you're moving XP from one PC to another. This /can/ be
done but it is pretty much always a bad idea & usually causes
problems. If it boots & runs at all, that's a roaring success.

Email: lproven@xxxxxxxxx • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@xxxxxxxxx
AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lproven@xxxxxxxxxxx • ICQ: 73187508