Re: Safely Remove Drive needed twice

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 01/11/2010 08:42, Mark wrote:

Methinks something is really seriously going off the rails here.......

Nautilus file manager and file browser are one and the same. Look in the
Synaptic Package Manager and you will find that the latest Nautilus is
2.30.1.

Well, yes and no. There are command line options passed in to the
file browser that are a) not the same as those passed in to the file
manager (i.e., none), and b) apparently without those command line
options, you can't shift from the FM mode to the FB mode at all.

I'm not home at the moment, so I can't check the Nautilus version, but
I'm running U10.10, so I expect it _is_ the latest, or close enough.

You don't have some other version hanging around as a leftover from an
earlier installation of Ubuntu?

Nope - went straight from CentOS 5.5 to Ubuntu 10.10.

Here is what the Nautilus Launcher looks like:

http://picpaste.com/nautilus-launcher-P1zrP5sa.png

Except for the colors, yep, that's it. I suspect it's the --browser
option that makes the difference. Apparently the default when
double-clicking an icon in the file manager, or from Places is the
File Manager.

Many thanks.

Mark

  • Re: Binary incompatibility of Linux distributions
    ... So the file manager also creates the desktop. ... and breaks well established software design principles. ... Lots of Linux users don't like GNOME, ... lots of Linux users don't like nautilus, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: FTP client?
    ... Anthony E. Greene wrote: ... |>| Your file manager (Nautilus or Konqueror) should be able to ... Nautilus and the like handle FTP, I would assume that there is a good ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Gnome Nautilus Edit>Preference. 1. Default folder view. 2. Searching for files
    ... > I have looked at Gnome Nautilus documentation ... > every new folder I create, ... When I open File manager / Nautilus, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Safely Remove Drive needed twice
    ... Nautilus file manager and file browser are one and the same. ... "Ning Yu displayed his wisdom while the country followed System, but when it did not, he acted stupid. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Editing Gnome for single click
    ... files) rendered as icons on the desktop, in a file manager (Nautilus, ... Konqueror, Dolphin), in file dialogs, and some other "browse" type ... Management Preferences from Nautilus pertains. ... The developer of Zim wiki thinks that there is such a Gnome setting ...
    (Ubuntu)