Re: newreader

On 10/29/2010 08:40 AM, fsosson@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello,

I would know newsreader available in Ubuntu.

$ apt-cache search newsreader
canto - flexible ncurses Atom/RSS newsreader for the console
cone - COnsole Newsreader and Emailer
ifile-gnus-el - a news and mail classifier for the Gnus newsreader
inn - News transport system `InterNetNews' by the ISC and Rich Salz
inn2 - 'InterNetNews' news server
inn2-inews - NNTP client news injector, from InterNetNews (INN)
inn2-lfs - 'InterNetNews' news server (LFS version)
klibido - usenet binary grabber for KDE
nn - Heavy-duty USENET news reader (curses-based client)
olive - console RSS reader
pan - A Newsreader based on GTK2, which looks like Forte Agent
post-el - emacs major mode for editing mail
tin - A full-screen easy to use Usenet newsreader
xpn - graphical newsreader written in Python and GTK+ toolkit
knode - KDE news reader
trn - Threaded USENET news reader, based on rn
trn4 - Threaded USENET news reader, based on rn (4.0 beta test)

That command misses packages such as alpine etc, but you can find more here:
<http://www.newsreaders.com/unix/clients.html>

You can also add to that clients such as:
- Thunderbird
- SeaMonkey (my preference as I use the email & browser as well)
- Opera
- Evolution (not recommended as it only allows downloading of the entire
newsgroup when first set up. The others allow downloading of headers
only, and/or downloading of a set number of headers).

  • Re: [OT] gmane.org down
    ... whereas I can recommend Pan. ... The irony is that I've come up against a bug in Pan that causes most ... is a nice newsreader, but this bug is a show stopper so I'm going to have ... I do not use the outdated Ubuntu versions; ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Newsreaders for Ubuntu and Linux
    ... Are you looking for an a) newsreader for newsgroups or an b) rss-feed ... If b) try Lifearea which is in the Ubuntu repository. ... a Firefox based browser which has a quite good rss-reader inside. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: OT - Newsgroup Reader For Linux
    ... What I meant to write was "mozilla THUNDERBIRD is a good newsreader - ... I like Agent as a newsreader; what is a good one to use with Linux? ... Mozilla Firefox works very well, and IIRC is included with Ubuntu. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Newsreader in Ubuntu??
    ... >> Why is there not any newsreader in Ubuntu? ... I am using Ubuntu to post this reply. ... and then use sudo dpkg -i to install ... the file (there are a couple of dependencies for Pan, ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Bachrach vs Halsall - Early Medieval Warfare
    ... Green on my newsreader, but I can set it as any colour I want. ... In the past three years I've had to rebuild my Dell 3100C desktop running M$ ... Now I run Ubuntu on a dead cheap AMD 64 bit quad core PC that I picked up ... easy to run and the free software is very good indeed. ...
    (soc.history.medieval)