Re: split/isolate network

On 11/20/2010 11:45 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
NoOp wrote:
Sorry, forgot to add that a good router/firewall1 should be able to
accomplish the above. However I've not (yet) found a wireless router
with a good enough firewall interface to allow me to inspect packets,
logs, etc., in the same manner as my wired router/firewall, so I just
connect the wireless to the wired & use the wired as the controlling
router & gateway.

If you have a wireless router that is supported by openwrt [1] or other
free firmware, you can do all you want - it is just another Linux
distrubution. Of course you may void your warrenty if you don't use the
original firmware supplied by the manufacturer, but that's another
story.

Nils

[1] <http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start>

Thanks. That WRG614v8 qualifies for dd-wrt, but isn't listed in openwrt,
so I'll look into dd-wrt. My befvp41 just died (actually the upgraded
firmware (Ver.1.02.06.3) is crap and I can cause warm reboots at will,
so I'm temporarily using the WRG614v8 as the primary with a MR8114v2
(flashed to v3 so I can use WPA). I'll hold off trying dd-wrt on the
WRG614v8 until I get a new wired VPN router to replace the befvp41.

  • Re: Router advice
    ... What do you mean by DDR firmware? ... I've had a Netgear WNR3500L for a couple of years now, first using DD-WRT, ... a Cisco router, but this has been perfectly fine. ... Only thing left for me to play with is getting a VPN server up and running ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: Router advice
    ... What do you mean by DDR firmware? ... I've had a Netgear WNR3500L for a couple of years now, first using DD-WRT, ... a Cisco router, but this has been perfectly fine. ... as it has default QoS classes which work ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: Restoring original Buffalo firmware
    ... Seems like most people are recommending DD-WRT rather than Tomato. ... so for now I'm still on the Buffalo firmware (and the ... and ping the router to se connect. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Router advice
    ... What do you mean by DDR firmware? ... I've had a Netgear WNR3500L for a couple of years now, first using DD-WRT, ... then the Tomato Teddy Bear mod, ... a Cisco router, but this has been perfectly fine. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: Networking adding of DI-524
    ... I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers. ... screen shots from Linksys' own self help technical support site. ... and that is where my Network must be at Fault. ...