Re: safely Remove Drive

I would suspect it to be a driver issue with having different HW.

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:40 PM, Mark <mhullrich@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I haven't seen anything on this issue lately, and it's driving me up
the wall. As I posted recently, on the machine I am testing (Dell
Precision 5500, 8cores, 4GB RAM, tiny disk) with a fresh, updated
install of 10.10, when I right-click a USB drive icon and click the
"Safely Remove Drive" link it works, first time, just the way I'd
expect it to.

However, on my main desktop at home (hand-crafted, X4, 4GB RAM, disk
to spare, fully updated fresh install of 10.10), I have to do this
routine twice (right-click, select the "S-R-D" link) before it
releases the flash drive.

I dumped the entire gnome configuration on each machine and compared
them, and the differences are all what I'd expect to see - absolutely
nothing stands out as even related to this (and the ones that looked
mildly suspicious all turned out to be red herrings).

Could it have anything to do with the hardware itself? The machines
are significantly different at that level, but except for the specific
variety of packages that are loaded onto each, the software is pretty
close.

Baffled.

  • safely Remove Drive
    ... Precision 5500, 8cores, 4GB RAM, tiny disk) with a fresh, updated ... However, on my main desktop at home (hand-crafted, X4, 4GB RAM, disk ... to spare, fully updated fresh install of 10.10), I have to do this ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: OT/drift: when is a RAMdisk an appropriate solution
    ... include the "ram disk" component in your project. ... Sometimes, a physical RAM ... only to wind up going directly to regular old ordinary memory, ... testing the file system software. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: teaching a child - console or GUI
    ... >> possible to set up some pretty fancy 'accelerators' ... disk under a file name that is ... ... or are they really a bunch of pointers ... You mean that you had to be convinced of the 'CD in RAM' approach? ...
    (comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc)
  • Re: Future Linux on Bistable Storage
    ... One major difference between disk and RAM is the tradeoffs between size, ... resume the system -- except perhaps for I/O initialisation. ... Writing all of RAM to disk burns more power than powering RAM for several ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Hard disk speed - Maybe OT
    ... This will of course all be disk cache. ... The current capture uses ... I dont think RAM will help all that much. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)