network drives & wireless

I have been trying to configure ubuntu to connect to some cifs shares over a
wireless connection, I realise that if I want this to be done automatically
they must have entries in fstab but this causes the system to hang as
network manages has not started and the computer has no network connections.
to solve this problem I have installed wicd which detects my wireless
network but will not connect to it.
could anybody sujest how to overcome this problem, I realise that simply
mounting the drives after nm has started would work however it would need
non root users to be able to mount drives which would be a MAJOR security
risk. for this system manually entering commands on startup is not an option
as it will be a keyboard- and mouse-less system controlled by a blue-tooth
remote.

thanks in advance for all the help
Jacob Mansfield
Programmer

  • Re: network drives & wireless
    ... wireless connection, I realise that if I want this to be done automatically ... network manages has not started and the computer has no network connections. ... to solve this problem I have installed wicd which detects my wireless ... non root users to be able to mount drives which would be a MAJOR security ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: network drives & wireless
    ... I have been trying to configure ubuntu to connect to some cifs shares over a ... wireless connection, I realise that if I want this to be done automatically ... network manages has not started and the computer has no network connections. ... Use the "_netdev" fstab option. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Very slow network - Ubuntu
    ... slowed down considerably since I installed Ubuntu Dapper I ... Win2k KIDPC on the same home network that do not have ... internet connection and you are using at least 100Mb ethernet (i.e.the ... connection speed is only 1Mbps My internet download speeds range ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Very slow network - Ubuntu
    ... slowed down considerably since I installed Ubuntu Dapper I ... Win2k KIDPC on the same home network that do not have ... I have an Internet router for sharing cable Internet connection. ... connection speed is only 1Mbps My internet download speeds range ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Very slow network - Ubuntu
    ... slowed down considerably since I installed Ubuntu Dapper I ... Win2k KIDPC on the same home network that do not have ... Debian, any problem there could very easily apply to Etch, the next ... connection speed is only 1Mbps My internet download speeds range ...
    (Debian-User)