Re: network drives & wireless

On 16 December 2010 21:53, Jacob Mansfield <cyberjacob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have been trying to configure ubuntu to connect to some cifs shares over a
wireless connection, I realise that if I want this to be done automatically
they must have entries in fstab but this causes the system to hang as
network manages has not started and the computer has no network connections.
to solve this problem I have installed wicd which detects my wireless
network but will not connect to it.
could anybody sujest how to overcome this problem, I realise that simply
mounting the drives after nm has started would work however it would need
non root users to be able to mount drives which would be a MAJOR security
risk. for this system manually entering commands on startup is not an option
as it will be a keyboard- and mouse-less system controlled by a blue-tooth
remote.

I use this method http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=637258 to
automount the shares when the machine becomes accessible. It is also
useful in a wired network where machines may not be powered up, it
unmounts when the machine becomes unavailable and re-mounts when it
appears again. It works very well.

I don't know why wicd would not work for you, most (including myself)
find it more reliable than NM.

Colin

thanks in advance for all the help
Jacob Mansfield
Programmer

  • network drives & wireless
    ... I have been trying to configure ubuntu to connect to some cifs shares over a ... wireless connection, I realise that if I want this to be done automatically ... network manages has not started and the computer has no network connections. ... non root users to be able to mount drives which would be a MAJOR security ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • RE: Connect Vista to sbs2003 domain wireless.
    ... same name as my domain network without the .LOCAL suffix. ... Normaly on a XP computer the server just asks for my account and of it goes. ... but I am really starting to get pist off about this Vista ... My Outlook 2007 keeps running over the not working wireless connection! ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: [opensuse] Cant connect to WPA-PSK network
    ... My biggest problem is with my wireless network. ... RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller ... I've found a similar problem with Wireless connection. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Win XP & 98 cant see each other in network neighbourhood
    ... then try network access again. ... >Default Node Type for Microsoft Clients ... When I view the details of my wireless connection it ...
  • [NEWS] Apple AirPort Administrative Password Obfuscation
    ... services to network clients. ... insecure wireless connection, ... The recommendation is to administer the AirPort Base Station either via a ... The only way to securely administer the AirPort Base Station is by ...
    (Securiteam)