Re: [OT] Re: About programing, a general question

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 6:01 AM, NoOp <glgxg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

No. But I learned Benton Harbor BASIC (circa 1977) on this:
http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/heath/ad78a.jpg
[note the price: for me that was $1,400 as I had to have it shipped to
Japan where I was living at the time (1977 dollars & in todays dollars
is around $4,960 based on the 2009 CPI more if you use other indexes): I
eventually upgraded to 32K of RAM & that cost considerably more] and was
still using my H8 in 1998. Finally gave the whole system away (all
pristine condition & working - including cassette drive, H9 Terminal,
manuals, and original software sometime around 2000.
Wish I would have kept it now.)

Had a heck of a time explaining to my instructor at the University of
Maryland (yes, we had satellite courses even then) that my BH Basic
could do serial I/O with the hardware access statements. See:
<
http://home.comcast.net/~davidwallace2000/h8/project8080_archive/pgs/basic.html<http://home.comcast.net/%7Edavidwallace2000/h8/project8080_archive/pgs/basic.html>

Here's the assembly manual for the H8:
http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/heath/h8_asm.pdf

I after dabbling with BH BASIC, Fortran & Cobol, I went the other
direction from others in this thread and instead concentrated on
assembly language (HASL-8 2 pass assembler was what I used to learn),
and then Varian Minicomputer Microcode (hence: NoOp).

Note: TRS/Trash-80's were for wimps in our circle & paddle keys
sucked... Octal keypads ruled... until we discovered that Hex became the
defacto standard :-(

Seems like we always seem to have an OT reminiscence of this around this
time of year... :-)

Nice experience!

--
Regards,
Parshwa Murdia

  • [OT] Re: About programing, a general question
    ... [note the price: for me that was $1,400 as I had to have it shipped to ... Japan where I was living at the time (1977 dollars & in todays dollars ... assembly language (HASL-8 2 pass assembler was what I used to learn), ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: For performance, write it in C - Part 2, comparing C, Ruby and Java
    ... Performance is yours for the asking, but it comes at a price - you have to write it in C. Ease of development also comes at a price, you don't get the same performance as C. ... In my younger days, I did a lot of development in assembler languages, and for many years my main high-level language was FORTRAN. ... Towards the end of my FORTRAN days I was still dropping into assembler for speed, even though the compilers were quite good by that time. ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: What is an Assembler
    ... its a price that few would be willing to pay. ... All an assembler of this type would be is a mnemonic converter and you ... around it on any OS that requires that style of file format. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: New batch of CT63...
    ... Actually I wait for some answers from factories, assembler  and ... distributors to check if it is possible a same price (320 EUR). ...
    (comp.sys.atari.st)
  • Re: OT: Instruction set relevance to Windows
    ... that you wrote to run on the Z80 CPU of the Amstrad Notepad Computer! ... Circa 1992 IIRC. ... Which of course itself contained an assembler! ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)