Re: python3 programming for novices

On 23/12/10 23:24, Doug wrote:
On 12/23/2010 07:52 AM, Steve Flynn wrote:
On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Pete<psmouty@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm trying to teach myself python3 from a BASIC backgound, wondering if
anyone can recommend any on-line resources or books to aid my transition?

A mailing list for python beginners would also be useful to bounce ideas
/ problems around in!

I take it you've already digested http://docs.python.org/release/3.0.1/tutorial/

Perhaps no-one has mentioned "Snake Wrangling for Kids" by Jason Briggs.
In spite of the title, it seems like a good tutorial.
Downloadable--Google it.
Note that there are two versions: one for version 2, one for version 3.
Most of the Linux distros seem to have 2 on their d/l list. Do you actually
have 3?

--doug

hi Doug,
I now have both although it is probably worth noting for future googlers
that ubuntu 10.04 is shipped with python 2.6 as default and as of today
not all modules have been ported over yet (I have found no turtle as
mentioned in chapter 3 of snake wrangling)

I am unsure if installing python 2.6 & 3 will cause conflicts later down
the line? If so I will remove 3 and continue with 2.6 as there seems to
be more documentation for 2.x, and i can upgrade my machine (and myself)
in due course.

regards

Pete

  • Re: python3 programming for novices
    ... anyone can recommend any on-line resources or books to aid my transition? ... A mailing list for python beginners would also be useful to bounce ideas ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: python3 programming for novices
    ... anyone can recommend any on-line resources or books to aid my transition? ... A mailing list for python beginners would also be useful to bounce ideas ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: python3 programming for novices
    ... anyone can recommend any on-line resources or books to aid my transition? ... A mailing list for python beginners would also be useful to bounce ideas ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: python3 programming for novices
    ... Steve Flynn wrote: ... anyone can recommend any on-line resources or books to aid my transition? ... A mailing list for python beginners would also be useful to bounce ideas ...
    (Ubuntu)