Ubuntu 10.10 doesnot boot

Hi,

The error was as follows:
===================================
mount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such file or directory
Target Filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init.
[20298638] usb 8-1.2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
No init found. Try passing init=bootarg.

BusyBox v1.15.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.15.3-1ubuntu5) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
(initramfs)_
===================================

Steps I tried:
1. Tried the recovery mode from grub. [failed]
2. Tried the lower version. [failed]
3. Tried the lower version's recovery mode. [failed]
4. Booted with live CD and tried to mount all partitions:
The '/' partition, which is /dev/sda5, - I can't able to mount. Rest all
partitions are okay, and so are the data.

So I tried repairing with the following command:
sudo fsck /dev/sda5
Now it complains as follows:
fsck.ext4: device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/sda5

So I tried to unmount it with gparted as follows:
gksudo gparted

It says the above partition is already in UNMOUNTED state. Also all
partitions, except sda5, I can able to mount & unmount with out any problem.
I'm stuck here. What to do next?

-----
I tried reinstalling it, with out affecting my /home partition, where my
data lies. But once I click on Install Ubuntu button, it's not even going to
the next screen. It hangs there itself indefinitely!

But the data is safe on /home partition.

Can someone please help me in figuring and sorting it out?

Thanks & Regards

Kaushal