Ubuntu 10.10 doesnot boot

Hi,

The error was as follows:
===================================
mount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such file or directory
Target Filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init.
[20298638] usb 8-1.2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
No init found. Try passing init=bootarg.

BusyBox v1.15.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.15.3-1ubuntu5) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
(initramfs)_
===================================

Steps I tried:
1. Tried the recovery mode from grub. [failed]
2. Tried the lower version. [failed]
3. Tried the lower version's recovery mode. [failed]
4. Booted with live CD and tried to mount all partitions:
The '/' partition, which is /dev/sda5, - I can't able to mount. Rest all
partitions are okay, and so are the data.

So I tried repairing with the following command:
sudo fsck /dev/sda5
Now it complains as follows:
fsck.ext4: device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/sda5

So I tried to unmount it with gparted as follows:
gksudo gparted

It says the above partition is already in UNMOUNTED state. Also all
partitions, except sda5, I can able to mount & unmount with out any problem.
I'm stuck here. What to do next?

-----
I tried reinstalling it, with out affecting my /home partition, where my
data lies. But once I click on Install Ubuntu button, it's not even going to
the next screen. It hangs there itself indefinitely!

But the data is safe on /home partition.

Can someone please help me in figuring and sorting it out?

Thanks & Regards

Kaushal

  • Re: OS X Disk Partitions
    ... If one only wants a subset of those partitions to remain ... > mounted one can open Disk Utility and selectively unmount the unwanted ... One can also write a simple AppleScript to mount and unmount ...
    (comp.sys.mac.misc)
  • [SLE] Why Is There a USB Partitions per Device Limit? (and other USB access questions)
    ... I selected 4 of those partitions for opening, ... and why is USB treated as though SCSI? ... Konq shows all the usb/scsi partitions as unmounted, ... the disk, what mounts them, and how do I unmount them to remove the ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Ubuntu 10.10 doesnot boot
    ... Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands. ... Booted with live CD and tried to mount all partitions: ... with a file system in RAM. ... 'live' CD or USB session without installing from it? ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [RE]LVM + dmraid
    ... David Abrahams writes: ... I can mount and unmount the /boot partition and I can see all the ... It's just the LVM partitions that cause me grief. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: System partition icons do not show up
    ... Other partitions on the drive do have their icons ... Disk utility also seems to unmount and mount them although ... "SetFile" tool which is part of the developer tools, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)