Re: A question about burning USB stick

Colin Law wrote:
On 8 January 2011 01:07, Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 07/01/2011 23:58, Colin Law wrote:
I have an image that I wish to burn to a USB stick using dd.
The command I am going to use to
burn it is
sudo dd if=myfile.bin of=/dev/sdb bs=10M

I do not understand what you really mean by doing a "burn to a USB
stick". One burns a DVD or a CD but not a flash drive.

Basil, you don't really "burn" a CD / DVD either or do you set it on
fire? (SCNR)

I think from the context you quoted (the dd command) it is clear what
Colin intended to do.

I have an image of the complete stick in myfile.bin that I wish to
dump onto the stick using dd. It is the equivalent of burning an
iso image onto CD which is why I used the word burn. The image
contains a bootable Ubuntu image. Having installed Ubuntu on the
stick and installed and configured all the applications I want to
use I use dd to make a backup of the stick so that if it fails (as
this one has) I can restore the image to a new stick without having
to go through the effort of making a new image.

Just a side note: I have two 4GB CF cards of the same model which have a
slightly different number of tracks announced to the kernel. I only
noticed this fact when I wanted to make a clone of one card (the one
with more tracks) to the other one. Therefore I now make the last
partition slightly smaller than possible. Then there are no data lost on
the last tracks if I ever have to restore a backup to a new card.

Nils

  • Re: [kde-linux] k3b wont verify data
    ... I don't burn DVD's at all - my drive is incapable of burning a DVD. ... ISTR that you can actually see, somewhere in k3b, the command that it is about ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [opensuse] hal / wodim / genisoimage fail -cant write 11.1 dvd
    ... the command would be refused or ignored. ... I/O then DVD buffer will be drained and you get buffer overun ... So, when I have to burn DVD, KMail must go down before ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: How to see where is my DVD mounted?
    ... >> Thanks, Rick. ... And the command to burn the iso image could be? ... Also note that if you have two drives, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: cdrecord problems
    ... Used xcdroast to burn the movies. ... > Best regards Vegard. ... I think you could try to burn on the command line, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: cdrecord versus mkisofs ?
    ... cdrecord -pad dev=x,y,z this.wav that.wav other.wav ... Next up, how do I create an iso of the AudioCD I want to burn later, ... Not quite the same thing as being able to issue one command and get ...
    (alt.os.linux)