installer does not find a network - but a live system does ... wtf?

a newly installed Ubuntu 10.04 is working - well, almost. there is no network, I have a DHCP server but somehow the system would not receive
any DHCPOFFERs - I don't know why. the DHCP server is up and running, the network is attached, all is well.

odd: when I boot with a live Ubuntu (via USB pen drive), the same machine HAS network access, RECEIVES DHCPOFFERs, CAN access my other
machine etc. so, the network itself is OK, so is the networking hardware.

But the system (when booted from the harddisk drive) is not able to access the network.

what's more: even if I reinstall the system, the installation routine does not find any network and tells me:

"Network autoconfiguration failed

Your network is probably not using the DHCP protocol. Alternatively, the DHCP server
may be slow or some network hardware is not working properly."

WTF??

I do not understand how DHCP functionality could not be working for the installer and the installed system, but works when booted with
Ubuntu live ...?

Andi

  • Network Intsallation report on small laptop.
    ... It had to run Debian, Gnome, a mysql server on a memory stick, apache and php, plus a browser. ... Bios reveals something called PXE booting: Network booting. ... # It duplicates the DNS and default route of my normal DHCP server. ... Not first time, because it hung on getting some files over, which is when I read the Debian page again and installed the better tftp server, and it hung again partway through the installation, when I think one of the Debian mirrors was down, so I used a different mirror and restarted. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • 8.04 networking seems awfully broken.
    ... I keep reading reviews about how Ubuntu "just works", ... up and f*&king up the network configuration. ... _is_ a response from a DHCP server. ... I've never seen even a single network that uses link-local ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: WAP54Gs with WPA not handing out IPs from SBS2003 server
    ... Do you have enough IP addresses in the DHCP pool on the DHCP server? ... There's not even 50 machines total on the network. ... I'll assume you're running Windoze XP Home using Wireless Zero Config ... With the PCMCIA card, it's the WZC software. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: WAP54Gs with WPA not handing out IPs from SBS2003 server
    ... Do you have enough IP addresses in the DHCP pool on the DHCP server? ... There's not even 50 machines total on the network. ... I'll assume you're running Windoze XP Home using Wireless Zero Config ... With the PCMCIA card, it's the WZC software. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Whats the benefit of using superscopes?
    ... A superscope is a collection of individual scopes that can be ... A superscope is actually a collection of individual scopes. ... Place DHCP clients from multiple network IDs on the same ... The superscope will allow the DHCP Server to answer requests from ...