Re: Ubuntu with Unity versus Kubuntu with KDE

On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 00:25 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 10/03/2011 11:05, Ric Moore wrote:
On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 17:02 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 08/03/2011 17:18, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 11:40:50 +1100
Basil Chupin<blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've been following the initial comments (cons and the
rebuttals/excuses for it) about Unity for Ubuntu and now have a
question to those who have used/using KDE and Unity.

I left opensuse a couple of years ago because of KDE (with its
plasmas, widgets.....) and and went Ubuntu with gnome.

Now that Unity has raised its head in Ubuntu I was wondering how much
of a difference there is between Kubuntu (KDE) and Ubuntu with Unity?

In fact, what's the future of Kubuntu when Unity matures?

BC

If you haven't given the new interfaces a look, you'll find that they
(Unity, GNOME-shell, GNOME 3) all copy Apple's, "look, I can't read,
but I can operate a computer," paradigm. The ideas of giving all
programs the same title bar (OK, it changes with focus) and making
every menu choice an icon instead of text is just brain-dead if you
ask me. OTOH, I can read well. I suppose that if I were half educated
and half competent I would also welcome the dumbing down of all
interfaces.
I really, really don't want to scroll through three or four pages of
icons to find that which would be on the first page of a text menu, no
matter how cool the Ipad might be.

Don't let's even talk about the idea of full screen defaults for all
programs.
Ummmm...thanks for this, Cybe, but it doesn't quite answer my
question(s) unless what you are trying to state is that KDE is much,
much better than Unity, Gnome-shell and Gnome 3 :-) .

(I installed Kubuntu yesterday (with KDE 4.6) and found that it is as
disagreeable as it was when I left it a couple of years ago. (Yak! in
other words.))
The Mantra is install Ubuntu, and KDE as a desktop afterwards (IMHO)...
so they don't gink up your install. (IMHO) Then select the "traditional"
launch button for that good old KDE3 look n feel. You would hardly know
the difference as it would look like KDE3 but launches a helluvalot
faster. Ric

Hm, thanks for this - I'll look into this way of tackling things.
However, after using gnome in Ubuntu I cannot see myself going back to
KDE unless I am dragged to it screaming in a straight-jacket. *BUT*
never let it be said that I will not try something before totally
condemning it :-) .

You're a good man, Basil. I say that from a Percoset induced haze, that
masks the pain of an infected pinkie toe, so I reserve the right to
redact my comment later. Right now, everyone is my brother. <grins> Ric

Linux user# 44256