Re: Desktop clients and NetworkManager

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Niki Kovacs <contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm considering removing the NetworkManager to keep only a "traditional"
network configuration, e. g. one DHCP server, and then only dhclient and the
according stanza in /etc/network/interfaces.

I wonder if there's something to gain by it (as in: one service less, more
transparent configuration, more KISS-like configuration) Any advice on this?

I'm not a big fan of NM (although it seems to be getting better with
every version).

I don't think that you'd be gaining much in terms of cpu and
performance footprint by purging NM.

I don't do any desktop support, but I imagine that if a user has a
network problem, it'd be practical to be able to ask him/her to click
on the network icon, etc.