Re: Desktop clients and NetworkManager

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Niki Kovacs <contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm considering removing the NetworkManager to keep only a "traditional"
network configuration, e. g. one DHCP server, and then only dhclient and the
according stanza in /etc/network/interfaces.

I wonder if there's something to gain by it (as in: one service less, more
transparent configuration, more KISS-like configuration) Any advice on this?

I'm not a big fan of NM (although it seems to be getting better with
every version).

I don't think that you'd be gaining much in terms of cpu and
performance footprint by purging NM.

I don't do any desktop support, but I imagine that if a user has a
network problem, it'd be practical to be able to ask him/her to click
on the network icon, etc.

  • Re: Remote Access and Outlook Web Access on SBS 2003
    ... SUMMARY OF SETTINGS FOR CONFIGURE E-MAIL AND INTERNET ... Internet Connection Wizard. ... network, firewall, secure Web site, and e-mail. ... NETWORKING CONFIGURATION SUMMARY ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Remote Access and Outlook Web Access on SBS 2003
    ... that's how the *Wizard* configured your network. ... NETWORKING CONFIGURATION SUMMARY ... Restrict default Web site of IIS to only respond to ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: A little FYI
    ... > fix for a different problem or end up making the same configuration ... Maybe faulty network equipment, ... > to look at what might interfere with DHCP. ... you were not here as I was trying to get the card to stay ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Windows 2K3 and Virtual Server 2005 guests NAT problem
    ... The first thing to check is that you have configured NAT correctly. ... internal network. ... in seeing the actual configuration and what your settings are. ... If you have configured DNS on the host and have set your vms to use ...
  • Re: ntpd fails on boot
    ... very complex network setups (multiple NICs of different brands, VLANs, ... If your network interface takes 60 seconds to come up and get configured ... daemons that rely on such connectivity, ... connected + configured during network configuration time, ...
    (freebsd-stable)