Re: Unity breaks basic UI principles

On 04/28/2011 10:53 AM, Alan Pope wrote:
On 28 Apr 2011, at 18:51, compdoc <compdoc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I just upgraded to 11.04 and I can't believe how bad the new Unity desktop
is.

Yeah, I tried to like Unity, but couldn't get used to it. Luckily, you can
select the 'classic' desktop, which I think is gnome 2.x

Or you can remove the global menu alone by uninstalling indicator-appmenu.

Al

Thank you!!

  • Re: Unity breaks basic UI principles
    ... Yeah, I tried to like Unity, but couldn't get used to it. ... which I think is gnome 2.x ... Or you can remove the global menu alone by uninstalling indicator-appmenu. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [OT] Ubuntu netbook edition or desktop edition ?
    ... Out of the box you'll gain more vertical viewing room. ... versions of gnome are coming into play here. ... Confusing the OP is what ... It almost seems like some people jump in just because its unity, hah, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: My request to ubuntu developer team
    ... Unity is, apparently, so far, distinctly better for novice users. ... may not be better for all migrants from GNOME - although personally I ... you won't like Mac OS X - they are very alike. ... I run several Macs and I barely run any Apple apps on ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Gnome2 vs. Gnome3. Why not just port the old environment to the new toolkit?
    ... And before I'll start I have to admit that I never used Linux Mint in the past, and probably never want due to I'm through with everything Ubuntu-related ("But Kim, Linux Mint is something completely different, it's Ubuntu done right!" ... Anyway, I claim that Linux Mint is *only* the better choice over Ubuntu *if* you don't want to use Unity, which is in fact just a forked GNOME 3 fake, and a completely wast of time ("Kim, how dare you? ... I don't want to rant on Unity that much, to me, it's just a fork that exists because Canocical was pissed by the fact thet Red Hat took lead on the GNOME 3 development. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: My request to ubuntu developer team
    ... Is there any chance that someone will fork gnome to ... Unity is big and dumb! ... I am currently using Linux Mint 12 RC on one of my laptops along with a few additional extensions. ... Ubuntu on the other hand will quickly lose me, and all of my computer customers that need to actually get work done on a desktop computer once 10.04 LTS expires. ...
    (Ubuntu)