Re: 20110502UU -- 32-bit Ubuntu With 64-bit Win7?

On 05/02/2011 09:17 AM, Tony Pursell wrote:
On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 05:54 -0500, bmacasuru wrote:
Greetings --

I have recently purchased a laptop which (UNfortunately!) has Windows 7
Home Premium, 64-bit Edition installed by default. Basically, I think
that this is STUPID -- but it is the case I must work with.

I would like to install Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit. I would REALLY like to
simply "virtualize" my Windows installation (because I have one
application which pretty-much demands a Windows environment). In the
absence of any installation-media (although I have "recovery" media) for
Windows, is this possible? If so, how do I do it?

But the second-best alternative is to dual-boot. Do I really NEED to
use Ubuntu 11.04 in 64-bit or can I use 32-bit? If I get to use 32-bit,
are there any special "gottcha" conditions that I should be aware of?

THANKS for your insights!!!!!

There is no problem dual booting 64 bit Windows and 32 bit Ubuntu.

There have been some problems with the 64 bit Ubuntu, e.g. with Flash,
but it is catching up now. However, sticking to 32 bit Ubuntu is OK
unless you have a real need for 64 bit, like massive amounts of RAM.
The normal max RAM for 32 bit is 3GB, but the PAE extensions will give
you more.

Tony

The memory issue is the big difference between ALL 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems. Without some sophisticated tricks, a 32 bit OS can't handle more than 4 GB of RAM. I am in the same boat as you are and I dual boot 64 bit Win 7 and 64 -bit Unbuntu. Most of the time I use Unbuntu and even have a virtual machine (V-box) running with Unbuntu as the Host and Win 7 as the guest. If I installed the 32 bit version of Unbuntu I doubt if I could run the 64 bit Win 7 as a guest. RAM is not the only advantage of running a 64 bit OS but you need a 64 bit computer to do so.

There are others on this forum that might know if there is a way to run a 64 bit guest on a 32 bit host. I do know that it cant be done efficiently.

Bill Stanley