Re: Grub not working

On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 10:21 -0400, dave boland wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2011 21:01 +0800, "Goh Lip" <g.lip@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 05/05/2011 08:56 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
Take out the # and it should look like this:
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0

I mean "put in", not "take out"
As someone recently said, my english not so good. :)

To make sure your Windows is there, try (do? might do?) this in terminal

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Regards - Goh Lip heh heh heh

Goh,

Won't this cause Grub to be reinstalled and send me back to square 1?
After all, the Ubuntu/Grub installer didn't detect Windows ME the first
two times. Perhaps my head is still stuck in Grub 1, but I would think
that adding a line to the config file would be the way to go. Of course
I have no idea what to add, but...

Is ME on the first disk (if you have more than 1) and on the first
partition on that disk? If it's not, then you need some special
commands to do virtual disk swaps. There is a bit about how to boot
windows in the Grub Legacy manual

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/legacy/

If you are sticking with Grub Legacy it is the menu.lst file that you
have to edit. For Windows in the first partition on the first disk you
will need a stanza like

title Windows ME boot menu
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

The other question I have is how is the Ubuntu 11.04 boot loader (hope
that is the right term) supposed to look. All of the ones I have seen
have a nice background image, use color, etc.

With Grub Legacy you could have an image behind the menu, but otherwise
there are basic colour commands in the menu.lst file. See the manual
for the color command.

Tony