Re: Grub not working

On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 10:21 -0400, dave boland wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2011 21:01 +0800, "Goh Lip" <g.lip@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 05/05/2011 08:56 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
Take out the # and it should look like this:
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0

I mean "put in", not "take out"
As someone recently said, my english not so good. :)

To make sure your Windows is there, try (do? might do?) this in terminal

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Regards - Goh Lip heh heh heh

Goh,

Won't this cause Grub to be reinstalled and send me back to square 1?
After all, the Ubuntu/Grub installer didn't detect Windows ME the first
two times. Perhaps my head is still stuck in Grub 1, but I would think
that adding a line to the config file would be the way to go. Of course
I have no idea what to add, but...

Is ME on the first disk (if you have more than 1) and on the first
partition on that disk? If it's not, then you need some special
commands to do virtual disk swaps. There is a bit about how to boot
windows in the Grub Legacy manual

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/legacy/

If you are sticking with Grub Legacy it is the menu.lst file that you
have to edit. For Windows in the first partition on the first disk you
will need a stanza like

title Windows ME boot menu
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

The other question I have is how is the Ubuntu 11.04 boot loader (hope
that is the right term) supposed to look. All of the ones I have seen
have a nice background image, use color, etc.

With Grub Legacy you could have an image behind the menu, but otherwise
there are basic colour commands in the menu.lst file. See the manual
for the color command.

Tony

  • Installation to dedicated disk
    ... It is my intention to create a dual boot environment where Windows XP resides wholly on the first disk and Dapper Drake ubuntu resides wholly on a second disk, again suitably partitioned. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Dual Boot FC2/XP(sata)
    ... > I am having some problems setting up a dual boot that works properly. ... NTLDR will not boot windows unless it is on the first disk in the boot ... I have GRUB on the first disk's MBR. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • [opensuse] Multiboot: Grub where?
    ... The nice thing about using this feature is that Windows will never make it necessary to fix a Grub that Windows broke. ... eComStation now uses it instead of Grub or the IBM Boot Manager. ... It is easily set to add each Windows or Linux installation to its boot menu, if you're using eCS/OS2's LVM tool, or DFSee. ... Grub Legacy is rather easy to manage by yourself with no interference from any OS. ...
    (SuSE)
  • zapped boot info
    ... I have a mac pro that is set up with xubuntu 12.04. ... The first disk ... you can see Windows, Xubuntu and OS X in the refit boot menu. ... I've looked in gparted to see where the boot loader might have ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Windows and RH
    ... Windows was then installed on the "new" first disk. ... How do I fix the boot sequence so that both systems are accessible without re-installing RedHat? ... Is the original disk (with Red Hat now the first disk again)? ...
    (RedHat)