Re: update error in 11.04

On Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:23:25 PM Nils Kassube wrote:
Dave Stevens wrote:
I was running package updates and had to interrupt the process. Now
when I try to repeat this process I get the message below:

Could not initialize the package information

An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package
information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and
include the following error message:

'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with
MergeList
/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_partner_b
inary- i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be
parsed or opened.'

I don't know who to report this to - who is responsible for
package-manager

Try the command

ubuntu-bug update-manager

This gives "Invalid problem report' and details: Could not determine the
package or source package name.
"

in a terminal.

and also don't know how to reinitialize package
manager to make it work again.

I don't know if this would help (haven't seen that error message before)
but you could try these commands

sudo dpkg --configure -a

worked without incident to judge from the non-output

sudo apt-get install -f

fails with:

E:Encountered a section with no Package: header and then

E:Problem with MergeList
/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_partner_binary-
i386_Packages an dfinally

E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

so no apparent progress there

Thanks for the suggestions thoughj

Dave

in a terminal.

Nils

--
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to
grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Douglas Adams in one of the Hitchiker novels...

  • Re: Error converting from UTF8 to ISO-8859-1
    ... package Button_Callback is new Gtk.Handlers.User_Callback ... pragma Suppress; ... Initialize routine of the dialog is: ... function compiles without errors. ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: Extending existing methods of base classes and Loose Methods.
    ... So I changed the class definition and changed the class method ... initialize. ... this changes to my package. ... the package scripts are a good place for this. ...
    (comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin)
  • Re: Types, packages & objects : the good old naming conventions question (without religious ware
    ... there is in Ada, no separate name spaces for type names and instance ... is in most of case used to initialize it. ... the sole purpose to avoid a naming clash, ends up in a legal source, ... Packaging and package name prefix may help here (coming with a name ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: passing a Factory to a method to create a generic instance
    ... IOStream ios = new FileIOStream; ... a.assignmentLoadis supposed to initialize the object, completely, from the data read from ios. ... Read a token from the stream, associate that token with a class, instantiate the class with newInstance. ... >> constructors, then make the factory object part of the package, so it ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Initializers
    ... 'constructor' to Ada packages maybe? ... the things they do Ada reference manual calls "package ... You can attach your code to elaboration in many ways. ... Initialize called etc. ...
    (comp.lang.ada)