Re: update error in 11.04

On Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:23:25 PM Nils Kassube wrote:
Dave Stevens wrote:
I was running package updates and had to interrupt the process. Now
when I try to repeat this process I get the message below:

Could not initialize the package information

An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and
include the following error message:

'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with
inary- i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be
parsed or opened.'

I don't know who to report this to - who is responsible for

Try the command

ubuntu-bug update-manager

This gives "Invalid problem report' and details: Could not determine the
package or source package name.

in a terminal.

and also don't know how to reinitialize package
manager to make it work again.

I don't know if this would help (haven't seen that error message before)
but you could try these commands

sudo dpkg --configure -a

worked without incident to judge from the non-output

sudo apt-get install -f

fails with:

E:Encountered a section with no Package: header and then

E:Problem with MergeList
i386_Packages an dfinally

E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

so no apparent progress there

Thanks for the suggestions thoughj

in a terminal.

Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to
grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Douglas Adams in one of the Hitchiker novels...

ubuntu-users mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: