Re: VM setup from dual boot

On 05/13/2011 05:59 PM, Sandy Harris wrote:
I do not actually want to convert or clone the XP install. What
I'd like to do is just use the existing working XP install and its
disk partition in a VM.

However, what I am seeing various docs I'm looking at and
what I'm hearing here seem to be saying that is impossible.
Windows stores a bunch of stuff about the hardware in the
registry, so the existing XP will not run on a VM. I must
either clone it to a VM or build a VM and do a fresh XP
install there.

OK, I can do that.

It's not impossible (check the VirtualBox docs, forums & mailing list);
it's just difficult & can result in data loss/corruption. You are
considerably better off cloning & reimporting the clone into a VMWare
Player on your existing Ubuntu partition/drive than attempting to try to
run in a VM from your Ubuntu. The clone will in fact work just fine &
you'll still have your backup and/or dualboot to fall back on.

I have several XP's that I've easily cloned using VMWare Converter that
are running in VMWare Player as we speak. The only time that I dual boot
anymore is to update the viruses on the 3 dualboot XP's & 1 Win7 that I
have. Other than that I update the viruses in VM's :-)

Believe me, it's not difficult; it just takes time to set up the
Converter(s), transfer across a network link to another machine,
transfer the image back to the Ubuntu machine that you wish to run it on
& go. I'm off racing tomorrow, but will be happy to help you off-list if
you'd like from Monday (Pacific).

Gary

  • Re: VmWare?
    ... software builds in a linux envronment on Mac Mini running leopard. ... I just crank up the VMware engine running linux and start ... You install it, create a virtual PC that has ... I have a linux box running Ubuntu and the choices Ive ...
    (comp.os.cpm)
  • Re: Dual Boot - Ubuntu - XP
    ... Then download the Ubuntu iso. ... the VMware VM. ... Then you boot the VM and it will boot into the Ubuntu ... That's to install Ubuntu to the VM. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Auto Start
    ... Installed on that is Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 64 bit, ... After updating I also Installed VMware ... This required that install ... Now I am not able to start Apache2 on my HOST machine, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: XBLA Leaderboards top 50 - Im in :-)
    ... I'm having all sorts of troubles with vmware, ... I had loads of trouble with ubuntu and 1 GB. ... except when you go to install vmware-tools it doesn't mount properly. ...
    (uk.games.video.misc)
  • >>>> INSTALL UBUNTU <<<<
    ... Ubuntu No Install Screen Boot Scripts ... After Install Ubuntu Server Constantly Reboots ... Which Ubuntu Linux Kernal To Install ...
    (rec.music.progressive)