Re: Best Alternative Operating System To Ubuntu?

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Avi <lists@xxxxxx> wrote:

The change is being forced by the demise of Gnome 2, not Canonical.

They chose not to follow Gnome 3.

When Ubuntu prevents the easy and clean use of Gnome (2 or 3), then its time
for a new revolution in distributions. Linux is about choices, not
Canonical's marketing.

  • Re: Breezy Badger - Ubuntu Kubuntu mix
    ... in the menues in Gnome I now have lots of KDE-applications, ... but use apps from the other. ... Or Ubuntu and Kubuntu as such different entities. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Breezy Badger - Ubuntu Kubuntu mix
    ... in the menues in Gnome I now have lots of KDE-applications, ... KDE, but use apps from the other. ... Or Ubuntu and Kubuntu as such different entities. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Gnome2 vs. Gnome3. Why not just port the old environment to the new toolkit?
    ... And before I'll start I have to admit that I never used Linux Mint in the past, and probably never want due to I'm through with everything Ubuntu-related ("But Kim, Linux Mint is something completely different, it's Ubuntu done right!" ... Anyway, I claim that Linux Mint is *only* the better choice over Ubuntu *if* you don't want to use Unity, which is in fact just a forked GNOME 3 fake, and a completely wast of time ("Kim, how dare you? ... I don't want to rant on Unity that much, to me, it's just a fork that exists because Canocical was pissed by the fact thet Red Hat took lead on the GNOME 3 development. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: ubuntu 5.10 empfehlenswert?
    ... >> Grundsätzlich wird es keine riesigen Unterschiede geben, ob Du KDE unter ... >> SuSE, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora oder sonst was nutzt. ... > unter KDE oder Gnome? ... Es laufen unter allen WMs oder Desktops alle Programme. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: Unable to use Ubuntu 8.04 live CD
    ... NoOp wrote: ... Alt-F2 gksu displayconfig-gtk, but couldnot find the correct monitor or graphics card. ... I had read where someone else, who had the same problem who replaced the "new and improved" xorg.conf file with a version before Ubuntu 8.04, and it worked. ... I took a look at the xorg.conf file and the choices it made were some of the very ones I had chosen before, but would not work in Gnome. ...
    (Ubuntu)