Re: Safely clean old root account?

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 9:56 PM, NoOp <glgxg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On one of my desktops I had a root account enabled for testing etc. I've
since disabled access to the account, but the process has left a bunch
of desktop 'user' type file in /root. Anyone know of a way to safely
clean /root so it is back to a clean default?

I know that I can renable the root account & log in to the account & do
some deleting, but is suspect that in the process I may end up borking
something.

G.

You surely know this from your other systems, but the single entry I
see (gksu nautilus) on my recent fresh install Natty /root is an empty
/root/Desktop. On my everyday Maverick, /root/Desktop shows a single
call to a java income tax application (java -jar
/opt/ProgramasRFB/IRPF2011/irpf.jar) that I guess, should not have
been installed as root.

So I believe that unless you have installed applications as root and
want to keep them, it seems that, while in sudo, you can safely delete
any entry at /root except /root/Desktop.

Lucio

G.

Please, scrap the last message, I forgot that even with gksu, Nautilus
does not show hidden files by default. There's a lot of stuff hidden
at /root. If it can be of any help I can send you the list of folders
in my /roots.

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.