Re: Safely clean old root account?

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 9:56 PM, NoOp <glgxg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On one of my desktops I had a root account enabled for testing etc. I've
since disabled access to the account, but the process has left a bunch
of desktop 'user' type file in /root. Anyone know of a way to safely
clean /root so it is back to a clean default?

I know that I can renable the root account & log in to the account & do
some deleting, but is suspect that in the process I may end up borking
something.

G.

You surely know this from your other systems, but the single entry I
see (gksu nautilus) on my recent fresh install Natty /root is an empty
/root/Desktop. On my everyday Maverick, /root/Desktop shows a single
call to a java income tax application (java -jar
/opt/ProgramasRFB/IRPF2011/irpf.jar) that I guess, should not have
been installed as root.

So I believe that unless you have installed applications as root and
want to keep them, it seems that, while in sudo, you can safely delete
any entry at /root except /root/Desktop.

Lucio

G.

Please, scrap the last message, I forgot that even with gksu, Nautilus
does not show hidden files by default. There's a lot of stuff hidden
at /root. If it can be of any help I can send you the list of folders
in my /roots.

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
Open Source Implementation

  • Re: Alerting - Malicious software removal tool
    ... >needed to install an application that she could not install from ... >"Administrator" account. ... You failed to analyze the root cause and correct it ... use their computers to have fun. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: user privledges
    ... > redhat 7.2 i created a user account for myself to use on a daily basis. ... > fare i have just been su - and entering the root pass. ... it started but would not install because i did ... sofware to /opt/musicmatch as a normal user. ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: hi all..
    ... And with sudo, I certainly wouldn't because they already have root. ... If you somehow had access to my account right now, ... install an effective key logger without root. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Easy way/script to add another user like me?
    ... of cracking the root password because they already know the ... Hence the valid need for sudo to limit what other users can ... would have to have been a special sudoer account password. ... install I can 'sudo /bin/bash' and effectively be fully root, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • user privledges
    ... redhat 7.2 i created a user account for myself to use on a daily basis. ... fare i have just been su - and entering the root pass. ... i just downloaded the music match install script for linux. ... with the normal user account. ...
    (comp.security.unix)