Re: Extremely poor internet speed in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

2011/7/31 Ernest Doub <hideserted@xxxxxxxxx>:

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 11:21 PM, PM <reallife@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

hi,

It is really nice to see Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, cool.

I have two issues (initially when I installed Ubuntu):

(i) When I connected to the internet using Alcatel Data Card (X220 HSPA),
and the connection being reliance, it sometimes connects me and sometimes
not, so I edit the network connections again and again whenever I login to
the Ubuntu. Then I saw that if the Data Card is connected directly to the
usb port (without using a cable, as I was using earlier), the probability to
get connected to the internet is more than the case when I connect the data
card through the cable, so I just removed the cable. But still I am facing
speed issues, for even 3G connection this is showing me a really very poor
speed!! How could be speed be increased at least to the level the system
might support?
However I have installed the driver and the net is getting connected, but
this a issue I must escalate.

(ii) When I started playing a video file, it says that it needs some
particular package (e.g. 'universe freepats 20060219-1', etc..) and then
started fetching directly from the net. As my speed is poor, can one let me
know if we can directly download all the packages (most common w.r.t. audio
and video files) from some outside and net and then can install offline, but
how?

Rgs.

Define "my speed is poor".  Are we talking 50mb/s or less, 100mb/ ? What?

That is probably very poor… Who would accept 100 mb
(millibits/second)? Would take days to download a relatively small
text file…

Okay, of course I know that you mean Mb/s and not mb/s, I just
couldn't stop myself… :P

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Are you sure you are connected on a 3G speed line all the way through?  One
slow node drags your throughput down to the speed of that node.
Unless your hardware is all less than a year old you are probably on a USB
1.0 line.
Google the specs for 1.0 vs 2.0 and you will quickly see the difference.
This may be your chokepoint.
Your codec packages are all available in the Ubuntu Software Center.

--
When Government fears the people there is Liberty.
When People fear the Government there is Tyranny.

  • Re: Taking of installing stuff in different OSs ..
    ... till I pull XP off the Mini onto a real PC and just leave OSX on there ... OSX and /or OSX and Ubuntu? ... I mean a raw install of OSX and Ubuntu on a Mini (not any ... blank CD and a bit of luck you could be on the Internet via Ubuntu ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Question for Linux users
    ... Get a separate hard drive and install 8.04 Ubuntu from the Live CD ... Linux abstracts the connection so that once it is configured, ... drives so you can simply put your windows drive on a USB adapter and ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: What files are required for Kvirc
    ... well KPP isnt helping me a hell of a lot. ... during the sync phase of a connection (ie. a connection to the RADIUS ... (from Ubuntu), even tho I can hear it dialling and connecting. ... shane@shane-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install kvirc ...
    (comp.windows.x.kde)
  • Re: modem
    ... to b e online and "apt-get" some stuff to detect the modem so I can get ... command-line connection using 'pon' and 'poff'. ... I did discover that the Ubuntu disk has additional packages that can be installed after OS installation, but what I need for the modem isn't there. ... I was excited to see the GIMP is on the disk, but it fails to install. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: What files are required for Kvirc
    ... Pass, all I know is, the modem is an Intel 536EP. ... during the sync phase of a connection (ie. a connection to the RADIUS ... (from Ubuntu), even tho I can hear it dialling and connecting. ... shane@shane-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install kvirc ...
    (comp.windows.x.kde)