Re: Extremely poor internet speed in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

2011/7/31 Ernest Doub <hideserted@xxxxxxxxx>:

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 11:21 PM, PM <reallife@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

hi,

It is really nice to see Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, cool.

I have two issues (initially when I installed Ubuntu):

(i) When I connected to the internet using Alcatel Data Card (X220 HSPA),
and the connection being reliance, it sometimes connects me and sometimes
not, so I edit the network connections again and again whenever I login to
the Ubuntu. Then I saw that if the Data Card is connected directly to the
usb port (without using a cable, as I was using earlier), the probability to
get connected to the internet is more than the case when I connect the data
card through the cable, so I just removed the cable. But still I am facing
speed issues, for even 3G connection this is showing me a really very poor
speed!! How could be speed be increased at least to the level the system
might support?
However I have installed the driver and the net is getting connected, but
this a issue I must escalate.

(ii) When I started playing a video file, it says that it needs some
particular package (e.g. 'universe freepats 20060219-1', etc..) and then
started fetching directly from the net. As my speed is poor, can one let me
know if we can directly download all the packages (most common w.r.t. audio
and video files) from some outside and net and then can install offline, but
how?

Rgs.

Define "my speed is poor".  Are we talking 50mb/s or less, 100mb/ ? What?

That is probably very poor… Who would accept 100 mb
(millibits/second)? Would take days to download a relatively small
text file…

Okay, of course I know that you mean Mb/s and not mb/s, I just
couldn't stop myself… :P

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Are you sure you are connected on a 3G speed line all the way through?  One
slow node drags your throughput down to the speed of that node.
Unless your hardware is all less than a year old you are probably on a USB
1.0 line.
Google the specs for 1.0 vs 2.0 and you will quickly see the difference.
This may be your chokepoint.
Your codec packages are all available in the Ubuntu Software Center.

--
When Government fears the people there is Liberty.
When People fear the Government there is Tyranny.