Permission to directory in /var/www

I have a fresh system i.e newly installed ubuntu 10.04.Apache is installed
using "sudo apt-get install apache2".I tested it by making a test.php file
in /var/www and it is accessible from browser.Now i copied a directory to
/var/www but it is not being accessible from browser.It gives the following
dreading message.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /GNDEC-SMS-Service/ on this server.
------------------------------
Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) Server at localhost Port 80

I changed the permission of the directory to 755 but it didn't
work.Similarly 775 still didnt work.I know its a permission issue.Can
anybody please tell me which permission i should give to /var/www/directory
so that i can access it .

--
Thank you !!

Regards
Amrit Pal

amritpalpathak.blogspot.com <http://amritpalpathak.blogspot.com>

  • >>>> INSTALL UBUNTU <<<<
    ... Ubuntu No Install Screen Boot Scripts ... After Install Ubuntu Server Constantly Reboots ... Which Ubuntu Linux Kernal To Install ...
    (rec.music.progressive)
  • The Big Ol Ubuntu Security Resource
    ... but its default install has flaws. ... are the mods you need to make to protect your system. ... If you've recently switched from Windows to the Linux distribution Ubuntu, ... IT Security has prepared a guide to help you ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 39, Issue 146 LAMP instead XAMP worked OK
    ... Re: LAMP ... find for how to set up a printer in Ubuntu is in version 7.4. ... How did you install LAMP? ... LAMP server software. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • The Big Ol Ubuntu Security Resource
    ... but its default install has flaws. ... are the mods you need to make to protect your system. ... If you've recently switched from Windows to the Linux distribution Ubuntu, ... IT Security has prepared a guide to help you ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 45, Issue 230
    ... from fedora to ubuntu ... Virtual machine ... Ubuntu will ask you if you want to install the ... Unable to send/receive e-mail between my e-mail server ...
    (Ubuntu)