Permission to directory in /var/www

I have a fresh system i.e newly installed ubuntu 10.04.Apache is installed
using "sudo apt-get install apache2".I tested it by making a test.php file
in /var/www and it is accessible from browser.Now i copied a directory to
/var/www but it is not being accessible from browser.It gives the following
dreading message.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /GNDEC-SMS-Service/ on this server.
------------------------------
Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) Server at localhost Port 80

I changed the permission of the directory to 755 but it didn't
work.Similarly 775 still didnt work.I know its a permission issue.Can
anybody please tell me which permission i should give to /var/www/directory
so that i can access it .

--
Thank you !!

Regards