Re: Dell WiFi key Fn+F2 breaks Intel WiFi on Natty

On 08/14/2011 01:59 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
Charlie Zender wrote:
On these machines if I do the standard Dell hardware keypress to
turn WiFi off/on (Fn+F2 = blue function key + F2), then the WiFi
does turn off but _it will not turn back on the next time_.

Sadly, rebooting does not solve the problem.
The WiFi is permanently disabled in Linux by pressing Fn+F2.

Check your BIOS if there is a wifi default setting. If the options are
"disabled" and "no change", the second option should be to right one.

Both these machines are dual-boot, and when running Windows
the WiFi works flawlessly and the Fn+F2 key behaves as expected.

You could also try to boot Windows and then reboot after enabling wifi,
maybe it stays enabled.
My HP G60 has that issue. I discovered quite by accident after I'd
disabled in Win7 & booted to 10.10 that Wifi wouldn't turn on. So I
booted back to Win7 to test; after leaving it on in Win7 & then
rebooting back to 10.10 all was working again. Pretty odd & I've not
bothered to dig into the problem, but I suspect it has something to do
with Win7 setting a flag in the bios.

  • Re: Dell WiFi key Fn+F2 breaks Intel WiFi on Natty
    ... disabled in Win7 & booted to 10.10 that Wifi wouldn't turn on. ... I believe you guys are on about an old bug in the Kernel that should ... I would search for an Ubuntu bug but searching for something like this ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Dell WiFi key Fn+F2 breaks Intel WiFi on Natty
    ... disabled in Win7 & booted to 10.10 that Wifi wouldn't turn on. ... I believe you guys are on about an old bug in the Kernel that should ... I would search for an Ubuntu bug but searching for something like this ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Wifi dies about once an hour. Bug in update ?
    ... My wifi dies about once an hour. ... I saved it and restarted wlan0. ... again was to reboot. ... How do I fix my wifi network problem? ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Firewall japes
    ... Airport connection went from fine to self-assigned IP spontaneously. ... After going through all the usual suspects (reboot wifi router, ... IP address on the same wifi, remove/add the Airport interface, I ... Well yes, otherwise I'm not getting any DHCP packets, am I. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: M3A32 Questions
    ... I changed memory speed to 1066 in bios, ... read the extensive set of postings about Wifi or the lack thereof. ... and the board only beeped a RAM failure. ... the user to intervene on the RAM settings, ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)