Re: <OT> ubuntu bad press

Tom H wrote:

I've been following this thread off and on and it seems to me that the
purpose of an LTS isn't understood (with apologies if someone else has
already explained this in an email that I've missed or deleted
unread!)

Ubuntu LTS releases mimick the behavior of Debian stable and RHEL.
It's meant to receive mostly bug and security patches through its
lifetime.

As I understand it, this applies to *all* Ubuntu releases. Exactly the
same criteria is used to decide which fixes go into the current release
and which are delayed for the next release. The difference with the LTS
is merely the length of time for which support is provided.

Non-LTS releases are seen as a tad more experimental, but that seems to
be more at release time, on the grounds that any mistake need only last
six months.

--
Avi

  • [Full-disclosure] [USN-947-2] Linux kernel regression
    ... A security issue affects the following Ubuntu releases: ... Ubuntu 10.04 LTS ... crafted traffic to crash the system, leading to a denial of service. ... A local attacker with write access to a GFS2 filesystem could exploit ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • [Suspected Spam][USN-947-2] Linux kernel regression
    ... A security issue affects the following Ubuntu releases: ... Ubuntu 10.04 LTS ... crafted traffic to crash the system, leading to a denial of service. ... A local attacker with write access to a GFS2 filesystem could exploit ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • [Full-disclosure] [USN-947-1] Linux kernel vulnerabilities
    ... A security issue affects the following Ubuntu releases: ... Ubuntu 6.06 LTS ... A local attacker with write access to a GFS2 filesystem could exploit ... amd64 architecture: ...
    (Full-Disclosure)

  • ... Upgrading to Ubuntu 10.4 LTS RC ... I have been trying to upgrade to Ubuntu 10.4 LTS with mixed success. ... I guess there is something missing in the configuration. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Get ubuntu ! Get ubuntu ! Get ubuntu ! Get ubuntu !
    ... If one does decide to try Ubuntu, get the "LTS", because the 6mo release intervals is "bleeding edge" and can/will cause you trouble. ... I have DL'd the 9.04 ISO and checked it out, but it still doesn't recognize my built in wireless. ... install the OS, I install the programs they want and I show them how to use Ubuntu. ...