Re: Discovering Uninstalled Alternatives for /etc/alternatives

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 15:00 +0100, Smylers wrote:
Ric Moore writes:

On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 10:55 +0100, Smylers wrote:

Hi there. How do I find out which packages provide an alternative
for a particular entry in /etc/alternatives?

For example, I recently spotted that the mutt command uses the
alternatives mechanism. So I wanted to know which other packages
provide a mutt command -- maybe one of those would have something
interesting in that I'd prefer to the Mutt I'm currently using.

update-alternatives only lists alternatives that I already have
installed.

What I want is a list of all packages that provide a particular
alternative, so that I can consider installing them.

I just went through the same thing... in synaptic, search on
alternatives and you'll see two different gui's for alternatives.

Hi Ric. Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I'm still not quite there
yet, unable to work out how to run kalternatives.

Not having used Synaptic before, I couldn't find how to search on
alternatives; there are options for searching on name, description,
maintainer, etc. Then I realized you meant to search _for_
"alternatives" in the package list, and that actually I could use any
Apt interface for this, and that by "gui's" you mean gui applications.
(My misunderstanding reported here for the benefit of anybody else
following along, or reading the archives.)

The packages in question are galternatives and kalternatives.

Works a charm.

Unfortunately not. As it happens I'd already tried galternatives (since
I'm running Gnome, in the form of the 'Ubuntu 2D' desktop) and it
doesn't help; it just does the same thing as the update-alternatives
command, listing only alternatives I already have installed.

Apologies for not mentioning this in my first message.

It'll show up in your system preferences. I used the KDE one.

Ah, you've only used kalternatives? I suspect galternatives is an
entirely independent program and your experiences of one don't translaet
to t'other.

Piece O cake to use,

I'm looking forward to it, once I work out how to run it!

I'll log into gnome and get back to you... on KDE (if you use synaptic,
click on kalternatives and "packages" you'll see what was installed and
where. It is not installed to /usr/bin. Same with galternatives.

as I just "manually" installed java 7 to 10.4. Now I'm faced with
having to install Firefox 4 for java-7 plugin to work. It never ends.

Surely the alternatives and dependencies mechanisms should ensure that
any required packages are automatically installed?

<grins> Read my rant... it was a bare-knuckle bar-room-brawl fight to
install it. All of my previous bruises from using Fedora were just
starting to heal, too. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256

  • FS: Complete Linux Recording Package Ready To Roll.
    ... How to install Rehmudi-2.0 ... if you don't have any sound, ... dependencies of Agnula Packages ... ... from the new kernel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Complete Linux Recording Package Ready To Roll.
    ... How to install Rehmudi-2.0 ... if you don't have any sound, ... dependencies of Agnula Packages ... ... from the new kernel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Apt Gone Mad?-Or Is It Me?-Expert Help Needed
    ... So tried to upgrade OO to 2.0 but Apt refused to do so. ... Aptitude doesn't show anything but Wajig shows unmet dependency for kdelibs-data. ... The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED: agsync arson barcode brahms cdda2wav cddb digikam digikamimageplugins gmessage guarddog guidedog hotswap-gui hotswap-text i2e id3v2 kbarcode kbear kbiff kdebase-dev kdirstat kile kimdaba klog klogic kmymoney2 knetfilter knutclient komba2 kover kprof kpsk krusader ksimus ksimus-boolean ksimus-datarecorder ksimus-floatingpoint ksocrat ksocrat-data kvdr kvirc kvirc-data kvirc-doc kwavecontrol kxmleditor lesstif2 libdynamite libimlib2-dev libkonq4-dev libmimedir liborange ... ChatagnierL-Home:/temp# wajig install openoffice.org Reading Package Lists... ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2014 #1074
    ... checking the full error correction data. ... the devs and the users in debian is entirely inappropriate, ... Some packages could not be installed. ... I have just tried to install vlc on this laptop. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Which debian sources to use to install to Knoppix 4.0.2?
    ... running into a problem when I install software to version 4.0.2 that I ... Check out the list of extra packages to be installed, ... akregator ark cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client gcc-4.0-base gs-common ... kdepim-kfile-plugins kdepim-kio-plugins kdeprint kdesktop kdessh kdf ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)