Re: Discovering Uninstalled Alternatives for /etc/alternatives

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 15:00 +0100, Smylers wrote:
Ric Moore writes:

On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 10:55 +0100, Smylers wrote:

Hi there. How do I find out which packages provide an alternative
for a particular entry in /etc/alternatives?

For example, I recently spotted that the mutt command uses the
alternatives mechanism. So I wanted to know which other packages
provide a mutt command -- maybe one of those would have something
interesting in that I'd prefer to the Mutt I'm currently using.

update-alternatives only lists alternatives that I already have
installed.

What I want is a list of all packages that provide a particular
alternative, so that I can consider installing them.

I just went through the same thing... in synaptic, search on
alternatives and you'll see two different gui's for alternatives.

Hi Ric. Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I'm still not quite there
yet, unable to work out how to run kalternatives.

Not having used Synaptic before, I couldn't find how to search on
alternatives; there are options for searching on name, description,
maintainer, etc. Then I realized you meant to search _for_
"alternatives" in the package list, and that actually I could use any
Apt interface for this, and that by "gui's" you mean gui applications.
(My misunderstanding reported here for the benefit of anybody else
following along, or reading the archives.)

The packages in question are galternatives and kalternatives.

Works a charm.

Unfortunately not. As it happens I'd already tried galternatives (since
I'm running Gnome, in the form of the 'Ubuntu 2D' desktop) and it
doesn't help; it just does the same thing as the update-alternatives
command, listing only alternatives I already have installed.

Apologies for not mentioning this in my first message.

It'll show up in your system preferences. I used the KDE one.

Ah, you've only used kalternatives? I suspect galternatives is an
entirely independent program and your experiences of one don't translaet
to t'other.

Piece O cake to use,

I'm looking forward to it, once I work out how to run it!

I'll log into gnome and get back to you... on KDE (if you use synaptic,
click on kalternatives and "packages" you'll see what was installed and
where. It is not installed to /usr/bin. Same with galternatives.

as I just "manually" installed java 7 to 10.4. Now I'm faced with
having to install Firefox 4 for java-7 plugin to work. It never ends.

Surely the alternatives and dependencies mechanisms should ensure that
any required packages are automatically installed?

<grins> Read my rant... it was a bare-knuckle bar-room-brawl fight to
install it. All of my previous bruises from using Fedora were just
starting to heal, too. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256